Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blurry Lines through text and icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordFurby

Technical User
May 23, 2002
US
I have a VERY annoying problem with my computer. There are dark, shadowy, horizontal lines throughout my monitor. THe lines shadow all the text, icons, pictures, windows (everything but the background).

I have a Gateway monitor with a Riva TNT2 Ultra with 32mg of ram.

I can't find any solution to this problem...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

It's just the refresh rate that your video card is set to.

Right click on the desktop and go to the "settings" tab and click "advanced". Then under the "adapter" tab use the pull down menu to select a different refresh rate.

If you do not have the option to select another refresh rate, switch over to the "monitor" tab and click "change". It's "next" ==>> "Display a list of all..." ==>> "next" ==>> "show all hardware" ==> "standard monitor type" ==> "standard vga 1024x768 @ 75Hz" ==> "next" ==>> "finish".

Now repeat the first few steps to change the refresh rate to 75Hz.

(oh yeah, my steps will get you through the Windows 98 way of doing things)

Well, to no avail I tried all the refresh rates that my card supported. The problem still hasn't gone away.
I made a mistake in my video card model...

It is a Riva TNT2 M64 with 32 megs of RAM.

Any other solutions..?

Thanks

Do you have the latest driver from NVidia? If so, you may try re-installing it, if not, it is version 28.32 at:
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Can you borrow a monitor from someone to eliminate the possibility of it being bad? Also does your video card have a cooling fan on it and if so is it working. Just some things to check. Good luck!

Well, I downloaded the latest drivers, but still no solution. I haven't been able to borrow a monitor quite yet, but I am working on that.
My card does not have a cooling fan. I was told to check the seating of my card, but nothing changed. I was also told to check the connections of my cables, no change.

Thanks

Try to disconnect the video cable form the PC(running a montior self-test). If you still see lines then have the monitor replaced, if the lines are gone(in the monitor self-test)then have the video card replaced. [afro]

Well, I found a second monitor to try. I hooked it up and the lines were there. I have tried different outlets, checked the connections hundreds of times, and have the latest drivers, so I think it's narrowed down to the video card.
Thanks for all the advice everyone, it helped me down the right path.

First if you are using windows XP on your system try going to a 16bit video mode instead of using 32. For some reason Nvidia and XP are noted for the wonderful lines and video issues. Right click on the desktop go to properties, then settings, then change colors to 16 bit. If that doesn't work We will try something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back