Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BLUE SCREEN "CRASH"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureIsNow

Technical User
May 7, 2003
US
Running amd xp1800+ with MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard, Ati 128 pro video card, 256 ddr samsung memory, Window XP home.

My computer will crash time after time. On a bad day it will crash 10 times in one hour, on a good day it will crash 3 to 4 times a day. So I did the following procedures.

I've reformat the computer so many time, took out soundcard and use the onboard soundcard, change video card. Flash BIOS, update many stuff also..

The blue screen will say something about Memory Dump with a bunch of other numbers I don't understand, and advise me to restart the computer and if problem still occrus told me to remove any newly installed software or devices. So I did all that but it still have this error..

I've asked some of IT professional and they don't know how to fix it. The only thing I havn't replace is POWER SUPPLY, and Memory

You can get memory testing software online. I don't know the link, but use google i'm sure you'll find it.

I don't think your PSU causes blue screen of death.

Have you been monitoring your CPU temp? Might be another idea.

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

PSU won't cause blue screen.

is your memory 1-256 stick or 2-128's? try different RAM. also, copy down what you get on your BSOD and go to and the knowledge base, and type in the statement to get an explanation or two and some problem solving tips. You could also post the statement, here.

One stick of 256 ddr, I agree, i don't think it's the PSU, I only point that out because I have email my motherboard company and it said something about PSU, it's either my processor, memory or motherboard, does anyone know about IRQ, I check my irq and my network card and sound card use same port

On new motherboards the irq's can be shared, but sometimes a network card can cause clutter, suggest moving it to a different slot further away from the sound card. The real problem here sounds like memory (either Ram or chip cache)to me. Try swapping the ram out with another stick. Or, if your cpu is running too hot (regular prob on some MSI boards), that would do it too.

The next time your computer Blue Screens, write down the message that appears, such as “Stop: 0x0000000A" and Google for it, such as "xp stop error 0A". If the explanations seem to obscure to you, post the message here for help. It helps to have at least the first three numbers of the stop error written down and posted in your message.

From MS: "Three types of memory dumps are available: A small memory dump (64 kilobytes), which is written to the %SystemRoot%\Minidump folder. The paging file on the boot volume must be at least 2 megabytes (MB) in size. A kernel memory dump, which is written to the %SystemRoot%\Memory.dmp folder. The paging file on the boot volume must be at least 50 to 800 MB in size, depending on the amount of RAM. A complete memory dump, which is written to the %SystemRoot%\Memory.dmp folder. The paging file on the boot volume must be large enough to hold all of the physical RAM plus 1 MB".
1. Check your "PageFile" (ControlPanel-> System-> Advanced-> Performance-> Advanced-> Virtual Memory (Change)-> Initial size {513} & Maximum size {766}-> Set-> OK to all and restart
2. Replace RAM (but NO the PSU...)
(Before replace anything READ "TunaBoy57" and "bcastner" posts)

"ANTE GEIA"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back