Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue screen on startup of Win NT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dermot99

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
IE
When my Pc starts it goes as far as the blue screnn which tell you the amount of memory you have and that it is a single processor system and it sits there.And that's it. What could be the Problem. it's a celeron CPU and i replaced it with another one the exact same and it won't work, however i put a pentium II in and it worked. Please Help!!!

Was NT installed with the Celeron in place? What started this problem (was it swapping cpus - or is that just something you've done since it happened) - ie, background from when this didn't happen to when it did & what had changed/happened between.

Was working with Old Celeron. stopped working. replaced celeron with pentium II and ordered replacement Celeron's. Have this problem 4 PC's. New Celeron's will both HDD's with win 98 on them

try the recovery console the new celeron's may have a fundamental change in their design over the old celerons. Which is close enough to fool nt into thinking they are the old ones but not operating like them. Thus the lockup. If the recovery console doesn't work reinstall NT.

Recovery Console??? Please explain..

Scanner929 - NT doesn't have recovery console (introduced with 2k) - although you can run 2k or XP recovery console (if you have install disk for either) with NT. Can't really see what you could do with it though.

Dermot99 - Have you tried 'Last known good' config option (press spacebar when prompted, if it gets that far) - unlikely to work given change of hardware, but worth a try. You'll probably need to reinstall (NT has a repair option, but only worth trying if your NT install disk is a late service pack version (at least SP4) - otherwise the older SP files cause problems - I'm assuming your running SP6a).

Have tried both of these, origonal config does not work, when i try to reload window nt, it won't pass the blue screen after it has analysed the system. What to to????????

In that case, I suspect your Celeron chip is faulty (or possibly the chip is not entirely compatible with your motherboard or some other hardware component. So, if that were the case, it might work in another machine).

A disk with win98 will work fine with that CPU and motherboard.?????

Curiouser and curiouser! Have you run said win98 for any length of time? Does it run smoothly or are there problems (I'm asking, because I've had similar situation - but win2k not NT - win98 installed and ran, but were problems like freezing and unexpected reboots. Put it down to win98! But when I tried win2k, it just blue screened on install. Turned out to be memory rather than cpu, but principle is the same. Don't know if this is of any use to you solving your problem, though! One thought - could you do a permanent cpu swap - so you use one that does work with NT in this machine & use the Celeron where it works too).

Wolluf,

I had the same problem...bad RAM caused format errors on the install of Win2k; Win98 ran OK. I replaced my RAM and everything worked.

Dermot,

I agree with the rest here. Replace your CPUs with something else. Intel may have changed the Celeron in some way. Also, there are problems with replacing CPUs on a system that already has the OS installed. NT4.x is particularly stuck up on this.

You may want to try a completely fresh install instead of just reloading WINNT - as in deleting the partition, and reinstalling.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back