Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue screen on shutdown! Anoying me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentcox

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2003
US
I am experiensing a stop failure in the shutdown of a HP LC3 Netserver running win2000 pro workstation. It is set up as the primary computer in a 2 computer workgroup. The failure dosen't cause anny problems in the operation of the machine except when you choose shutdown. The system is fully updated with sp3 and all other updates. The drivers for hardware are all the latest versions and none of the hardware is cutting edge. (better old and stable than new and buggy) The failure reads-------
*** STOP: 0x0000009F (0x00000002,(the next 3 # sets change)
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
etc....

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have checked out microsoft's stuff. NO HELP! I have checked all the obvious. Anyoune have an idea???

Hi,
THis seems something wrong with your Hardware.

Stop 0x9F messages can occur after installing faulty applications or drivers or system services. If a file is listed by name and you can associate it with an application, uninstall the application. For drivers, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to to determine if this resolves the error. If it does, contact the hardware manufacturer for a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

Check these links

Aslam

Aslamvs,
Thanks for the input. I know that it is probably a faulty driver. But the problem is deciding whitch one. The screen is from a new install and not from an addition. I don't want to start experimenting by unistalling and reinstalling hardware on a system that otherwise is working properly. The buildup on this machine takes about 5hrs. And after I was done experimenting I would probably have to do a buildup again. (for the 3rd time) I was hoping someone might know more than I did and be able to pinpoint the specific piece of hardware to look at. If that is not possable then I will probably live with it untill updated drivers for my hardware become available. It is probably the Matrox G200MMS Video card. After install of the OS I have to go into safe mode and update the drivers on sound card and video card before system would even boot. The screen was there even before I added any aplications so I don't believe it has to do with anny programs.
Have any more ideas anyone??

If you disable APM in the power options most likly this error will go away. But, then your pc wont shut down it will go to the "safe to shutdown" screen. I had this problem as well and could not figure out how to fix this without a reinstall. However I did not have any hotfixes and sp2. If this has happend only since you got sp3 and other updates you can try unistalling them and see if that cures it.

Wirdo,
I wish it were that easy. The APM settings in the OS are set to never and the BIOS dosen't suport APM. If I am missing a setting please let me know. I would love to se the "safe to shutdown" screen. This is how the system is supposed to work.
Thaks for the input.

I have had the same problem. It turns out that the seagate backup exec ver 4 that I was sent with my win2k machine is not compatible with win2k. see this link: This problem is a bear to troubleshoot. I had to do a second install of win2k and keep adding programs till I got the problem back!

Good Luck!

dougjl
Thanks for the input. But I am not using backup exec.
God Bless and have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back