Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendas

Technical User
Feb 2, 2004
SG
Hi,
my windows 2000 machine often has blue screen of death.
How can i restart this machine remotely when blue screen of death occurs?
thanks

Hi, I don't think that you can, since rebooting remotely is a 'soft reboot' meaning that is triggered by a command passed to the machine via software, which in this case, is unavailable. The only solution is to go to the machine and reboot it. You can, however, troubleshoot the issue remotely so that you can avoid the BSOD.

hth,

dr tree

Hi
If the server is a recent HP model you can probably buy a RiLO card which allows you to connect to a server and watch it reboot from a distance for example.
Cheaper version is iLO.

Otherwise I think the shutdown.exe from the Resource kit might work for the IP address with the reboot switches used and Y answer yes to checkboxes switch. That is if you don't have a BIOS password either. Depends really on how blue is the blue doesn't it.

if the machine is at the stage if BSOD then you cannot remotely restart it.

I can't remember if 2K Server has the same options as XP, but in XP u can get the machine to auto-reboot on BSOD.

I'll look into this option and then repost :D

Hope that helps you out.

With HP/Compaq servers, you can use the iLO or a RiLO to reboot the server. With Dell servers, you can acquire and use the DRAC. Both of these cards allow remote administration of the server, including rebooting from hard failures.

right click "My Computer"/Properties/Advanced, click "Startup and Recovery" tick "Automatically Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back