Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkertech

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
Got a PC with Win2K with the blue screen of death. Per operator, nothing has been installed since last succesful boot. Worked fine yesterday, today, dead as a door nail. Can I boot to Safemode prompt and re-install the regestry like I have done with Win98? If not, what other options may I work with. Thanks.

For every problem there is a solution, for every solution there is a tech behind it.

I don't know what recovery console is. This is the message I get on BSOD.
THe session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000 22 (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system will shot down. After that there are some intructions like to modify the BIOS caching and shadowing but that didn't work. I hooked up another HD with Win2K and Antivirus sw as master and the old master I connected as slave and when I went to scan D drive it only show the boot record; no other files. The operator did tell me that last night before shuting off the system there was a red cross on the antivirus program. I think whatever it was wipped the drive clean. Your thoughts?

For every problem there is a solution, for every solution there is a tech behind it.

Bill - do you know why that registry repair tool doesn't include SP1 & SP4 on its list of supported o/s?

tinkertech - what do you mean by only boot record (ntldr, ntdetect.com & boot.ini? - no folders?). And by scan do you mean looking in explorer or running anti-virus.
btw - I gave you a link to Recovery Console info (its a way of starting machine with access to a number of command line like tools which can be useful if 2k can't boot - though it won't work if drive doesn't have a 'windows' folder (\winnt in 2k normally)

This is whats going on. Using a "lab HDD", I did a full Win2K install along with Norton Antivirus using it as Primary Master. Then with the original drive set up as secondary master, sat up all the passwords and domains the original drive was set up for and was able to access the original data in the original drive, did virus scan and found no viruses. Once we established that all of the folders where in the original drive, we disconnected the Lab HDD and reconnected the Original drive as primary master, rebooted the system and wham! once again, the blue screen of death. I tried F8 and reloading the last succesful boot and nothing happened. I am thinking of running from the CD the fix windows option in the install process. I just fear to loose all that data on the drive. I feel a boot file is corrupt and causing this problem. I'm open to all ideas and suggestions.

Then I'd certainly try my first suggestion - boot into recovery console (you may think of this as fix windows option - the link I posted describes how & what's available) and run chkdsk /p. I doubt its a boot file - you probably wouldn't have got as far as BSOD if it was. I find chkdsk can be a bit like a magic wand with 2k/XP - certainly cures a multitude of sins.

If you want to refresh the boot files/sector, you can also copy the files ntldr & ntdetect.com from the install CD (\i386 folder) to the root of C:. You can do this from recovery console. Then run fixboot command. Also check the boot.ini file is correct (type C:\boot.ini in recovery console). If this is installed on partition 1 or drive 1 it should look asomething like:-

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Thanks for the tip; I'll try that on Monday as I am at home now. Got to give it a rest from time to time.

Wolluf,

I see no reason SP4 would not work, I think this is nothing but a failure to update the documentation on the download page.

All that the "Windows 2000 Registry Repair Tool" does is to load the XP Version of Recovery Console, and automates the performance of this process:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back