Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue screen of death! 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

renajb

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
US
I use my computer about 10-12 hours a day. Lately at least once a day I get the blue screen saying error and so on. I have also been having trouble with my mouse being jerky in motion on the screen and my keyboard won't keep up with my typing or sometimes won't type at all, and I'm not a fast typer. My mouse is optical, so it's not dirty. It's like a program is trying to load or something, but it doesn't matter if I'm on-line or not. Also, has anyone heard of a stealth program and how would you tell if it was installed on your computer? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Do you have Resource Meter always running? If not, you should as well as keeping an eye on it.
When resources get low I find my PC starts to go clunky. Low for my PC is around ONE green bar showing. If that one bar goes Yellow, then I'm about to be very sorry...
If I dare to persist it isn't very long before it either freezes or goes BSOD.

I'm not sure what a resourse meter is. Can I buy it in a program or download it off the internet? Also, when it shows it's low, does that mean I have too many programs running or what?

The resource meter can be found under start>>
programs>>acessories. The problem you are having sounds like you virus program is running in the back ground. Disable the system scan on your virus software and see if that helps it. Also do a ctl.atl.del one time to get a list of the programs running.

renajb

Also,AV utilities that are active in Systray sometimes interfere with mouse/sound processes..Try shutting them off.. smitee

I must be really dumb about this stuff, but what do you mean when you say AV utilities, and how do I shut them off? I know that my computer came with the McAfee virus scan on it because it pops up once in awhile, but when looking in the programs file, I can't find it. Can it be located somewhere else? And when I do find it, how do I disable it, and should I run without a virus program? If I need to buy another kind, what do you suggest?

In systray near clock if you have McAfee icon then VirusScan is active. You obviously need it when downloading, mail retrieval, or opening an unknown floppy's contents. Why have it your tray and active if you are just in general use? Ctrl-Alt-Del allows you to terminate the AV utility.Further to this McAfee, has a screenscan that is active unless you turn it off.Right click empty desktop, Properties, ScreenScan tab and see if it is active...also do you need it? Perhaps another post for this question.

In reference to your original post "jerky mouse" I only mentioned this because it is known to happen..AV icon in systray indicates VirusScan is active and has in many cases had an adverse effect on sound quality and smooth cursor movement. Also look for hanging modules like Stimon, Wimgmt, or Msimn. Sometimes these will show up as [not responding] and definitely impede other activities.

I cannot recommend which Av program to use because I am not knowledgable enough to recommend any with certitude. I use McAfee because it came with my bundle....

The other posts may deal with your BSOD issue...

Good Luck smitee

One issue that will cause the mouse and the typing to be slow is if your virtual memory is full, ie temp files.
Me does not do a very good job of deleting the files automaticly.
go to Start>find or search> for files and folders. In the name field, type *.tmp. In the search in field ensure your local hard drive is selected. also make sure that it is set to search all subfolders. click search now or find now.
This will find every .tmp file on your system.
After search stops, go to the top and then edit>select all to highlight all the files, then hit the delete key on the keyboard, click yes for the confirmation. close find and empty the recycling bin.
Something else in WinMe that will cause your problem is if you have never ran scan disk and disk defragmentor. Any time the swap file becomes fragmented, the system perfromance will be extremely slow.
Try the steps above and let us know what happens.

fedto X-)

I went to the temp file directory and there are tons of files there. But how do you tell if you want to delete them or not? They mainly have just letters and numbers for what they are and when I clicked on one to try and open it, nothing will pull up or open, my screen just kinda of flashes and that's it. Also, in the past when trying to open other programs and the box pulls up asking what program you would like to use to open it, is there one that works all the time. Usually I can't find a program listed that will open the file I want. Thanks for all your help.

In most cases, the files in the temp directory are just that. Temporary files that windows and other applications use and just leave behind. As I posted earlier, the most through method of finding and deleting the tmp files is to do a search for *.tmp. This will pull up every .tmp file on your system if search is set to search all subfolders. Most of the files you saw in the temp directory are listed with hexidecimal values that were assigned by the application that created them and in most cases no longer needs. Each one is specific for that application and for the situation that it needed them for and will most likely never use it again.
So, by just deleting the files in the temp directory may not get rid of all of your tmp files.

fedto
X-)

To answer the 2nd part, renajb, you cannot open it unless you have something associated to open a file with the .tmp extension. If you did open the file, it would make absolutely no sense. I have used notepad to open a few before and it comes up with a bunch of numbers, squares, triangles and so forth. Jibberish to me.

As far as other files that you have tried to open in the past, if you right click the file, in the submenu should be the option, "open with" and in most cases it will have a few selections, or just "other". Choosing "other" should bring up the window with a choise of programs to select to try to open the file with, if nothing is associated with the file extension.

If you want to try one, select it and take the tick out of the box in the lower left corner. If you leave it in there, the program will be associated with that file extension until you remove the association in folder options.

Fedto

So should I go ahead and delete all the temp files even if I don't know what they are? Some of them (according to the file date) have been there over a year. I won't mess up any of the operating system by doing this will I? I didn't think anything concerning the system was ever stored there, but I don't know alot about computers, so I'm not sure. Thank for the help.

It should not hurt to delete any fine with the tmp extension. I have done it for myself and users for several years now. When I was on a helpdesk it was part of noraml trouble shooting for a slow pc.
Also, go into control panel, internet options and delete the temporary internet files as well. That will free up even more virtual memory.
[lightsaber]

one other thing to note:

If you are using Windows Me you should try the following:
GO TO:
START-RUN-MSCONFIG
click the start-up tab
then the only things that are needed for startup are:
----------------
-ScanRegistry |
-PCHealth | <-- absolutely essential and are the
-System Tray | only things needed for start-up
-*StateMgr |
----------------

and any-thing to do with virus protection should be turned on.

As for the resource meter go to C:\WINDOWS\RSRMTR.EXE it will give some kind of dialog OK it, then put a shortcut to the rsrmtr.exe file in your start-up folder.

Resource meter come naturally with windows you don't need to install it or buy it

Nate There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

What type of enviroment are you in. I am one of many adminstrators on network and we use a program called SMS. Its an administrative tool that allows us to see what users are doing on their desktop as well as run, install, and troubleshoot a pc from our own computer. Sometimes being bored at work I have had other people use this against me and &quot;log onto&quot; my computer. Its actually quite funny to see 10-15 command prompts open up, your start menu open, programs minimize on their own, along with other things. Anyway, during these &quot;assaults&quot; I noticed the very same events that you describe slow, jerky mouse, inconsistent keyboard, slow program starts, etc. This may not apply but is a possibility based on your post.

Shohn

Thanks for the info, but that doesn't apply to me. I have a home office with 1 computer.

Some optical mouse temporarily work on Me. Ensure that the mouse has a Me driver. I had to go back to a non-optical mouse because the driver only supported Win98 only. After a while they cause havoc on your pc.

I keep getting the BSOD. I think it also occurs if we try to run software not designed for ME. I am running web servers and I get this. Check whether you have installed anything that was deveoped for NT/98/95/2000/XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back