Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

famtek

Instructor
Mar 27, 2007
US
Have SATA drive that now gives me Blue screen of death with the error Session5_initialization_failed. When I hook up drive to external case and connect to another PC, I can see inside drive and all error checks come out clean. As such, something on my 2 year old Dell has lost its mind. Any ideas. thanks.

I assume this is your primary hard drive?

If this is the case then issue may not be the drive but something else that is failing in your computer.

Ram is a big one for BSOD errors...Almost the Number#1 cause
Then CPU failure (heat is a big issue)
then Motherboard failure

when you have your drive out and connected to another computer do a good virus scan to rule out those issues

see if windows will load clean on another hard drive

I am betting that windows can't or won't complete the install and will throw errors on even a new drive. I hope I am wrong.

Out of curiosity what brand is the hard drive?
I have a nice stack of OEM Samsung SATA drives that I pulled the magnets and platters out of. Samsung should just stick with HDTV's as that seems to be their best product....lol

Have you tried Ntbtlog .txt From safe mode with command prompt. This will create a list of drivers as thy load, when start up fails the last driver on the list could be your defective driver. Most of the time bsod errors are memory related, have you taken a look at memory related issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back