Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchy

Technical User
Apr 19, 2005
GB
Where to begin ...

Initially, it began when i bought some new hardware. 2x 256MB Geil RAM, Asus A-17 Motherboard, Intel Processor 3.0Ghz. This took a while to install and get going, due to problems with Hard drives etc.

Once i had XP pro installed along with the other programs, i.e photoshop, dreamweavr etc, all was going fine and dandy. However, one day the blue screen of death came up, with a message, being on of the 2 following: BAD_POOL_CALLER, or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL can't remember which with this being some time ago. So i rebooted and this seemed fine and i carried on working on the PC as normal thinking that the problem had (hopefully) gone away.

However, every so often (approx. once a week) for a month the same Blue Screen decided to appear again. Each time i rebooted and the problem seemed to reside back into the stupid metal body from whence it came. The message on the screen seemed to change from one to the other (above 2 error messages). Then, a couple of days ago the pc had been on all morning and i came back from a match i had just been at, clicked on something and the message came up again. 'ok' i thought just reboot again and should be fine. It was fine for about 3 minutes and then the blue screen came up again. And then again. So i shut the computer down and looked up the 2 error messages on the internet, and it was suggested that driver verifier (verifier.exe) was used, as this error message was linked to driver problems.

Soo ...i ran the verifier.exe and created a standard procedure check, rebooted as requested and waited for it to start up. The login screen came up and so i put in the password and waited for it to load up. However, it stayed at the 'applying your personal settings' screen, and then decided to reboot. As usual, thinking hopefullt that this was a one off, let it reboot and tried loggin in again. To my bitter frudtration, it continues to reboot and get no further. I am now stuck. I have lost the will to keep fighting unless somebody can give me a reason to carry on by providing some help, concerning either the Blue Screen error messages or the constant rebooting or both! Would be greatly sppreciated.

Thanks greatly, Hitchy

I'm sure there are loads of reasons that can be the cause of this problem. So, you need to be checking everything - RAM, Video card etc. So you need to follow the full procedure of ... remove everything un-necessary, See what happens etc. etc. However, I had something similar happen to me some time ago. The odd BSOD - same messages as you - and while I was looking into it - wam - won't boot. Turned out the system disk (C) was failing. So you may care to start there. Download the manufactures diagnostic using another PC and test your hard drive. I would also recommend SpinRite from to attempt to recover the drive if the manufacturers diagnostic says it has problems. But thats my personal opinion. If the disk is recovered by, say SpinRite, backup & get a new HD asap. If not fully restored use a new HD - install windows and configure the flaky drive as a slave to get what you can off it.

let us know how you get on.

Will it boot into Safe Mode?

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

If the error occurred after installing a device driver or application, try using Safe Mode and removing the driver or program.

To check your RAM.

To check your Hard Drive.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to check your drive for problems.

You can also load the Recovery Console and run ChkDsk /r to check for problems. It is also possible to disable any suspect drivers or services via the Recovery Console which may be preventing you from starting.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

To check your drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Will check your computer for spyware and adware.

To checkout unnecessary services you are running.

See if you have any services that are flagging as "Starting" but not actually running.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

The first thing I would do, is search the Microsoft Knowledge base with the advanced search, and search everything in English, and the KB and the Tech Net as well with each of the errors, I have searched for the Bad_Pool_Error, and one of the listings I got was the knowledge base article 314492 I actually got 4 different issues using this link

For the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL I searched MS again, and came up with

Also, there is a CD you can make called Bart's PE (the instructions are at this link)
that will help you to get back into your computer.

If nothing else, put a second drive in your computer, do a clean install of Windows XP onto that drive, and then use the second install to get anything you need to save off of the other drive and reformat it. Once you have everything, reformat the drive. Also, install the recovery console off of the XP disk so if this ever happens again you will be able to get onto the drive easier. I believe that at he tells you how to go in and edit the recovery console so that you have access to your floppy drive and your cds from the recovery console. If it isn't there, let me know and I will find the instructions.

Please let me know if these work for you!

Kaycek
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't give up and Don't give in

I suggest you find out what state your hard drive is in first. By the time I had done a lot of the above and finally decided to install XP on a new HD to look at the old one I was nearly out of luck. The original HD after SpinRite had recovered the bad sectors died 20 minutes after I got it copied!

Thanks for all the help. The things i had not mentioned before which i should have is :

It does run in safe mode.

These problems have occured on more than one hdd which have had fresh copies of XP installed on them, and both can get into safe mode.

I have just run the verifier.exe in safe mode, and in normal mode it has stopped rebooting at the login stage and is now working slightly normal. However, it still produces the BSOD messages so the problem(s) are not yet resolved.

I will look into all that has been mentioned in the posts by you onwdrous people on the weekend when i have some free time.

Thanks people, will keep you informed on how this stupid pc is doing.

Since it works in safe mode, that means it is a driver of some sort, what is the last thing you put on it before this started? Go into the administrative tools from start, control panel, administrative tools, and open the event viewer. Check the System and the application logs, look for error messages, double click on them and let us know what they say -- that's whats going to tell us what's wrong.

The Bart's PE disk is a good one to have around, because you can use it even if Windows wont boot....

I'm really curious about this, please, let us know!

Kaycek
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't give up and Don't give in

Will do ...

Have just done the verifier in safe mode and it seems both hdds i have seem to know be working, but know doubt the BoTD is lurking about waiting to pounce again.

From the verifier i have found:

d347bus.sys Loaded
d347prt.sys Loaded
scisport.sys Loaded

Not sure whether it just checked those or what, but i did a quick check in google on the d347bus.sys as it was the first on the list, and i found that IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL seemed to pop up on most listings. Coincidence? I hope not.

Thanks again for the continued help, appreciate it.

Ok another error has just popped up. This one i haven't seen before.

Technical information:

nv4_mini.sys Address F8185ACQ base at F8153000

Verify Unsigned Device Drivers.

1. Click Start, click Run, type sigverif, and then click OK.
2. Click Advanced.
3. Click Look for other files that are not digitally signed.
4. In the Look in this folder box, type x:\Windows\system32\drivers, where x is the letter of the drive where Windows XP is installed.
5. On the Logging tab, make sure the Save the file signature verification results to a log file check box is selected, and then click OK.
6. Click Start.

NOTE: The log file is named Sigverif.txt, and it is saved in the Windows folder. Third-party drivers that are unsigned are displayed as "Not signed." Use the drivers in this list as your troubleshooting starting point.

Is your bios updated, have you tried running it in safe default mode?

Maybe it is time to consider a reformat and clean install of XP

Google for "nv4_mini.sys" - there's obviously a problem with some versions of it!

I had these same exact bluescreens of death that you have described, I can't believe I've been looking for answers to those bluescreens, at microsoft I got nothing, nothing matched. I went to MSI got new bios and upgraded, checked my memory, changed video adapters, got all the updates and drivers I could find, and would work real good for about 2-3 days then bluescreened, "bad page pooler", IRQL not less or equal too", "page fault in a non-paged area". I went thru 2 120 gig hd's, WD and Seagate, (seagate never did recover, had to replace it). My chip finally pulled out and I lost it, I thought maybe trying to install winxp and winxp64 pro on same disc, different partitions, was the problem, I never found out, but Iam using the same memory, a 120gig WD hd, both DVD/CD combo drives, Nvidia GeForce 5200fx 128mb, creative live 24 bit sound blaster, with Intel/celeron 2.5ghz on a ECS L4VAX2 mobo, ruinning winxp sp2 home, I lost my amd/anthlon 64 2800+ on a MSI K8N Neo Fsr, with the same set-up Iam now using on Intel/celeron. I used same cd to install with, installed first time, no bluescreens, I don't understand, these's are not my firsts cpu's that I've built, I've been doing this now for three years, I'am no expert but I not stupid either, I don't get it?? Good luck hope you figure it out, I would start over take the chip and board back, save your files on your hd, maybe get another drive too, and install fresh, then mount the old hd.

I have had fresh installs on both hard drives and both have come up with the same problems. I will be testing the ram soon to see if that is the prob with memtest86 and i will also be testing other components but if i draw to no conclusion would it be an idea so send the m/b or ram or cpu back. Still pretty much flustered about this poblem, only thing is, i dont really have much time to get down with a pen and paper, sit and playing with my coomp switching things, changing things until i am able to find hproblem. This may take some time so please bare with me people :D

Your help already greatly appreciated

Hitchy

Ok some new info. my computer has now started to ..instead of showing me the blue screen thought this was too generous of itself and so has decided to just start randomly rebooting occasionally. This is the info i got when i sent the error report. YES microsoft, a driver problem ...YOU DONT SAY. Only problem is ...Don't know which 1!

Error Caused By A Device Driver

Thank you for submitting an error report. Microsoft is unable to specifically determine what caused the problem you reported. To troubleshoot the problem, please see the information below.

Analysis

A device driver installed on your system caused the problem; however, we cannot determine the precise cause. Depending on which situation is applicable to you, please do one of the following:

If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your system, the problem might be caused by the driver for the device. If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
Some software, such as firewall and anti-virus software, also installs drivers. If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. If you know the manufacturer of the software, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
If you don't know the driver's manufacturer and need help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.
Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update website. At Windows Update, you can have your computer scanned and, if there are updated drivers available, Windows Update will offer a selection of drivers that you might be able to use. To learn more about updated drivers that might be available, visit Microsoft Windows Update.
For information about Microsoft support options, visit Microsoft Product Support Services.
Additional Technical Information

How to Troubleshoot Hardware and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP (Q322205)

nv4_mini is your video drive provided by nVidia..

I would update your video drivers.. and maybe check to see if your video card isn't going bad.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

also d347bus sounds a lot like Daemon Tools.. used for running ISOs and the such without the need to burn them to CD..

I would check into that maybe.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Still rebooting. I am starting to think this has nothing to do with any software as the same has been happening with two hdds both with diff hardware. I am beginning to think the motherboard itself is somehow faulty, but until i actually do the memtest im not totally sure. Will keep informed. Latest error info:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 26/04/2005
Time: 19:00:49
User: N/A
Computer: POPPY
Description:
Error code 000000c4, parameter1 00000090, parameter2 f9aa4120, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 63 000000c
0020: 34 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 4 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30 eters 00
0030: 30 30 30 30 39 30 2c 20 000090,
0038: 66 39 61 61 34 31 32 30 f9aa4120
0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 , 000000
0048: 30 30 2c 20 30 30 30 30 00, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

Do you have Alcohol software on this machine?

Windows XP Pro IN-place upgrade - setup fails, just restarts
Thread779-905233

No i don't have alcohol on the machine. I have just run Hijack this as suggested by someone i know and this is what i have found. Does this mean anything to any of you?? and if so can you tell me if there are any problems.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 21:59:10, on 26/04/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
E:\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\helpctr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpHost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Hitchy\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] E:\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe -silent
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

Your log looks pretty clean to me but I'm no expert with Hijack This logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back