Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Screen of Death Windows 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornwall

Programmer
Aug 6, 2003
GB
Hi

I am trying to rebuild an old 486 PC to run Win 95. Have carried out installation, but, on running 'Windows for the First Time' the system 'hangs' at the final stage of looking for hardware, and I get the following message:-
0E exception occurred at 0028:C00090D0 in VxD Called from 0028:C10317F6 in VxD. Press any key to attempt to continue; Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart. Can anyone assist with the problem here please

Thanks

Gary

have you run Fdisk before installation of Win95? There may be something already on the hard disk causing the problem.

Rob2806

It was installed on a freshly formatted disk (although not FDISK'd)

I would suggest you do Fdisk and then try to reinstall. Thay way you know there is nothing on the HD to cause a problem.

I would suggest you check that you have enough resources to run Win95 on a 486. I can't remember exactly what the minimum configuration you needed to get it to work.

I vaguely remember when Win95 when it came out that a lot of people had problems with it because of a lack of resouurces and returned back to Win 3.1.

When I had a 486 I used Win 3.1 and only moved onto Win95 when I got a Pentium.

I distinctly remember running Win95 on a 486 DX-4 100, not bad as 486s go, and it was highly unstable. Wouldn't be surprised if anything below that would have (more) trouble with it. I certainly didn't get a stable Windows until I used a Pentium equivalent (a Cyrix 300 in my case with a whole set of problems of its own).

"Much that I bound, I could not free. Much that I freed returned to me."
(Lee Wilson Dodd)

Rob2806

Have run FDisk, and reinstalled - same problems I'm afraid.

Checked msoft.com, and certainly have more than the min reqd spec to run Win95

ive used 95 once so :p
I think you need 16MB ram not shure about processor size tho

Cornwall, what is the actual spec of the computer?

Don't always believe what MS say about minimum configs. The truth was always much higher.

Many computers used to use part of the RAM for Video Momory.

I had an Aptiva with 16mb RAM. Except it was really 14MB RAM + 2 MB RAM for the video card.

All may not be what it seems.

Have you tried installing Win 3.1 to see if you get it up and running?

Hi there, don't know if you're still there, but if you are still looking for an answer to your '95 install problem, try this site: Don't let the name throw you off. Read deep. Follow the directions and you should be OK. Just don't FDISK it anymore or you'll wear it out.

[machinegun][pig]

Don't forget those who serve and protect: Your Armed Forces personnel and Disabled Veterans (DAV).
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."
George Orwell, author

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back