Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blue screen of death on startup with error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssvcan

Technical User
Jul 10, 2005
US
bsod error Quote "Invalid vxd dynamic link call:NTKERN(01) +
0000331E "MTRR ", service 2." Unquote.
I then have a yes or no choice to continue. If I choose yes the pc goes to desktop and everything seems to be ok.
If I choose No I get another bsod error message.
Quote "Invalid vxd dynamic link call to device 4a at service
74." Unquote and then the message is windows is shutting down and the pc turns off.
I have to reinstll from dos cabs because I don't have an ME
installation disc.
Problem seems to be in the system files and the regiester
but I have exported enum and completely rebuilt my
device manager. I can't seem find the answer but I think
the register is missing some keys. Your advice appreciated.
ssvcan@aol.com

Does the message come up in safe mode? Have you tried using system restore to revert to a restore point?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks to MATTJURADO for your reply. I have tried every method (restore is corrupt) register is missing something that keeps the bsod coming up, but doesn't keep pc from running (aol, others). I decided to format and start al over again with win98se because I think I would get the same old corrupt register back with cabs. Thanks again.

MTRR.VXD

"Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File"

DeviceInitFailed = MTRR
Memory Type Range Registers (MTRR) is a .vxd file that is responsible
for manipulating memory ranges.
This file is loaded with DirectX 5.0; however, none of the DirectX core
components use the service that is
provided by MTRR. The Ntkern file and some video adapter drivers do use
the service that is provided by MTRR
to change memory ranges.
----

"ERROR: OE" or "ERROR: OD"

Hi ssvcan

If "no joy" from above suggestions you might try taking a peek at similar problem discussion here. Its a (4) page discussion thread I have been following and will point you towards a solution.

'NTKERN' references an old Symantec Oil Change application I believe. As ITEngTech has mentioned you would find it in your registry at.
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Vxd

smitee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back