Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Screen of Death - Incorrect drive A type

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrooks

Technical User
Jul 20, 2000
US
Hello,

I have a dual boot computer with Win98 / Win NT Server4.0, Service Pak4.

I was in Win NT 4.0 copying driver files and setup files for a printer from a floppy not formatted with NT. NT had a hard time reading the files (which should have probably been my first clue to stop), but the printer was setup OK. After a while the Blue Screen of Death appeared and when I rebooted, the computer halted as soon as it rebooted with this message: “02B2: incorrect drive A type, go to setup.”

I went into the CMOS setup and changed several settings pertaining to the A drive, but I still get the same error message at bootup and when I try to login to NT I get the blue screen of death each time. I even tried the "Last Known Good Configuration," but still have the same problems.

Does anyone know what I can do to correct this problem? Do you know what specific setting in CMOS I need to change? I have a Dell Pentium II XPS R400, Bios version A03.

Any comments, advice or referral would be GREATLY appreciated.

Floppy drive settings need to be set at 1.44 Floppy for drive type. Do you have a swap floppy option in the BOIS? If so disable that. And last resort is to replace the floppy drive. It could be bad.

when you try to go back into NT,did you try enter in VGA mode press space bar type L and press enter.
If that does not work take a look at you boot.ini file to see were is it pointing.

I hope that can help.

Juan

i had this same problem. "incorrect floppy drive..blah blah blah"

was at a loss until i changed the controller cable to the motherboard. It appeard that the cable was incorrect for the drive itself. The red strip was the wrong way around. I replaced it with a different cable which did not have the keyway slots on it...these can go on either way around....and bingo it came straight up no problems!

so if you do have this problem...check your controller cable...

worked for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back