Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue screen of death...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvpn

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2007
US
I received a blue screen a death a couple of days ago. I wasn't able to get the error code. So I go get abother HD. I load the drivers but decide I want to try and reformat my existing HD. So I reformatted the hard drive and then started the install process. Windows XP was almost done installing when I reciever another blue screen. With the following error. 0x000000f4 (0x0000003 0x87d46818 0x874698c 0x805c749a). So i figure it might be a hard drive or ram problem. So I remove the ram and HD out of another lap top (same series different model). And I get a blue screen of death again with error code 0x0000007b.

Any suggestions?

You need to be more systematic! And more info would be good. Like was the original installation running ok, then just blue screened - or did you add/remove any hardware/software? In my experience, hard drives hardly ever cause blue screens - its other hardware - RAM being biggest culprit, but any hardware item can be cause. Also bad drivers. But we've no clues here without better info from you.

System was running fine. I downloaded and installed an Outlook add-in. Then I got the blue screen. And continued to get it.

So I installed new ram and hard drive. I began installing XP Pro. After I specified computer name. It came up with another blue screen again. Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x82695020, 0x82695194, 0x805c749a)

I'm guessing motherboard.

Thank you for all your time and help.

This is from Microsoft
Error Message:

STOP: 0x0000004F (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) NDIS_INTERNAL_ERROR

Explanation:

This is a Windows 2000 Executive character-mode STOP message. It indicates an internal error in the NDIS wrapper or an NDIS driver.

User Action:

If this is the first time you have booted after installing new hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible with Windows 2000. For information about the hardware, contact the supplier. If you are installing Windows 2000 for the first time, check the Windows 2000 system requirements, including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the system can run Windows 2000. If Windows 2000 is loaded and no new hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a dump file. If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration, try using the Emergency Repair Disk. If you do not have an Emergency Repair Disk, contact your technical support group.

@ASG0856 - wrong error... double check before posting, plz...

@corvpn -

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive.

Connecting a hard disk drive in slave only mode leads to system halt during resume from standby

even though, this is a laptop, check the drive for jumpers and set it to MASTER...

another thing to check up on, or do, go to the BIOS SETUP screen and load DEFAULT VALUES, check then if PLUG&PLAY OS is set to NO, VIRUS BOOT BLOCK is disabled, SMART MONITORING for HDD's is turned OFF, and if you have a setting for the SATA Drives make sure it is set to IDE or similar, if not you will need a DRIVER DISKETTE later on...

if this does not work, I would also suggest to totally bomb the drive by using a program like DBAN (Darricks Boot and Nuke), this will wipe the drive totally clean, so that you can start afresh with out any possible interference...

keep us posted...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I check the jumpers. There were none. I installed my original hard drive did a total reformat and reloaded OS and drivers. But still keep getting blue screens. I don't have any of the options you suggested in the Bios. I'm threw in the towel and ordered a new shinny one from Dell. Thanks for all the help. I think it's the motherboard.

From what you understand, this is a laptop and you are trying to install from a standard XP installation CD.

Laptops usually have customized hardware and it seems the specific installation CD causes a conflict. I don't think you will succeed installing XP with that CD, it will consistently bluescreen. Since this happens after you specify the windows name, when the laptop tries to access available networks, my guess is that you have a networking problem (wireless card conflict or faulty network card). To my knowledge, neither of these can be disabled in the bios, so try:

1. Find the system recovery CDs/DVD from your manufacturer and install XP using those - they will certainly restore the laptop to factory settings.

2. If the original HD had a hidden partition with system recovery (which may still be intact if you just formatted C: and not wiped the whole HD), try to locate instructions on how to restore your laptop to factory settings using the hidden partition.

3. If you cannot find the above, try installing an older version of XP, e.g. SP1, and be careful when installing SP2 and subsequent live updates.

Mind you that eventually a security update from Microsoft or a software upgrade or add-in might at any time cause the same problem. So before starting to update your fresh installation, make sure your Windows system restore service is enabled, to be able to roll-back to a working snapshot of Windows.

PS: Please don't forget solution 4. Switch to or install in addition to XP Ubuntu linux. This will ensure that you will not be left without computing power in a critical situation in case Windows crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back