Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Screen Of Death After Dell Factory Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuffsaid

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
CA
Hi All,

Happy Friday.

So here's the scenario... older Dell Dimension E520 running XP Pro, Pentium processor, 3 Gig RAM, 260 Gig HD, Integrated Video Intel G965 Chipset. This unit has served me well over the years, but over time has become slow and less responsive. As the machine is no longer my primary unit I decided I would do a factory reset to flush out all the crap that has accumulated over the years. Seemed like the easiest approach. So CTRL - F11 to access the ghost recovery part ion, select reset, and away we go.

After about 10 minutes the system reset completed without incident and we were now ready to proceed with our brand new "out of the box" Dell E520 with XP Pro SP2 (circa 2006) system.

After performing the initial setup, apply SP3 then head on over to the Microsoft Update site to download and install the 126 updates still required. So far so good. Time for a little fun. Surf on over to You Tube and check out some vids. Launch a music video in full screen mode, BSOD. Stop Error code 0X0000008E, which I understand relates to graphics adapter. Reboot and try again. Same result, BSOD. Okay one more time... another BSOD but this time a different Stop Error, now it's complaining about IGXPRD32 which after much Googleing I find out is associated with the graphics drivers.

Time for more detective work. Check Device Manager, all good. Event Logs, error listing BSOD but no help really. Head on over to Dell and reinstall "latest" (2007) video drivers. Still no go. Dell have an online diagnostics tool, but when I tried to run it it complained about not having the .NET Framework 3.5, so installed that but still can't seem to get the diagnostics to work. Run a slew of antivirus, all clean.

Something's missing, I just can't figure out what....
And, no, I have not tried anything in Safe Mode as I thought it was pointless as this is supposed to be a "Brand New" install.

So, time for some expert advice, this is where you guys come in.[medal] At this point I'm ready to throw in the towel, disable the onboard video and pop for a $50 graphics card, slap that in and hopefully be done with it.

What do you guys think?

All input appreciated.

Nuffsaid.

Typically when going through something like this, it is best to start with the device driver updates before Windows updates. Perhaps in this case, SP3 would have been the right first move, but before the 126 updates, I would have attacked hardware drivers next.

Back on the Intel download page, go ahead and run the latest drivers for the following:

[ul]
[li]Audio[/li]
[li]Chipset (very important)[/li]
[li]Network[/li]
[li]Video (I realize you've already done this, but go ahead and download version 6.14.10.4704, A01 and run it again)[/li]
[/ul]

You don't need to reboot between each update. If it prompts you to, just choose the option to reboot later. Reboot after installing the last one. Then go back to the site and download the latest BIOS update. Follow the instructions to update that as well.

If you still get the blue screen after all that, then it's probably the GPU or RAM.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I would agree - something like this order. Might as well rule out the RAM though first with a quick Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Memory test
XP SP3
All device drivers (usually chipset first, then video, then everything else)
BIOS update
All other XP updates
Hard drive test if no joy

Good Day All

Thanks for the input guys, here's the update.

I started from scratch and followed the recommendations provided above, here are the results.

After the reset I was finally able to get access to the Dell Diagnostics which provides an extensive set of tools.
All componets, including memory, motherboard, etc. passed the complete set of tests for each componet.

The only exception was the video card. There were two tests for this device, the "short" version and the "stress" test.
The short version met with mixed results, however the stress test always met with the BSOD complaining aboutt either the 0X0000008E error or the IGXPRD32 issue.

So at this point my feeling is to just disable the onboard video and pop for a PCI card. Your thoughts?

OH, one last question. I know the machine is equipped with a PCI x16 slot, however I've noticed during my online shopping alot of cards are labeled as PCI 2.0. Is this going to cause more grief because I have an older system?

Once again, thanks for your time.

Nuffsaid.

I certainly would try a new video card based on those tests, but PCI video cards are more rare now. You have the following slots in your PC, so I'd go with a PCI-E X1 if you can find one.
Open PCI Express X16 Slots 0.0
Open PCI Express X1 Slots 1.0
Number of PCI slots 2.0
Number of PCI-Express Slots 2.0

So, something like this:

It doesn't really matter what you get as long as it fits your system UNLESS you are doing gaming and you need a high horsepower video card.

It matters, the card that Nuffsaid linked is for a PCIe x16 slot, that won't fit your board, because it doesn't have that slot. Like it was said you have to find a video card that uses a PCIe X1 slot.

Yeah, that's what I recommended, but apparently I didn't look at HIS suggestion closely enough as it is incorrect. And I meant that it doesn't have to be a high horsepower card but just fit (into the right slot) which as you indicated should be a PCIe X1. I get lazy when there are links posted in replies sometimes.

I'm no hardware expert by any means, but it turns out that that the system is equipped with one PCI Express x16, one PCI Express x1 and two PCI slots(for once the manual was 100% correct). The card snapped into place instantly. Downloaded and installed the latest drivers and it's all been good ever since. Was a little touchy on the first boot as the new BIOS took more time than usual to load. But ever since then it appears to be back to normal. Another concern was power supply as the system has only a 305 Watt output. Had heard that 400W would be necessary however the card was advertised as not being a power hog. I re ran the Dell diagnostics after the install and everything passed. The machine isn't used for any hard core gamming so I'm not to concerned about that. Well as stated earlier, so far so good, I'm pleased with the results so far and I guess time will tell.

Thanks everyone.

Nuffsaid.

Did you disable the built-in card in the BIOS if possible. Sometimes it's not necessary as it defaults to the PCI-E card but if it's selectable, I'd set the new card as the default OR disable the old one in the BIOS. If you can't, I'd disable the old card in Device Manager.

Interesting about the x16 slot, the documentation I gave you was from Dell and indicated NO x16 slot. Now I look it up again and see another result that says x16. Super. Glad it's working.

Yes I switched the video setting in the Bios from "Auto" to "PCI whatever" (even though it stated this would happen as soon as the card was inserted). Then when I fired up the machine and checked Device Manager, the onboard Intel G965 Chipset was not even listed anymore. All that appeared was the driver for the new card. So I figure I'm good to go.

Hate most documentation as much will apply to several models. Kinda leaves you guessing sometimes..... [ponder]

Nuffsaid.

yes, nice job....As to the power supply, I wish the card manufacturers would stop saying, "recommend 400 w power supply" As this means very little to the system, or the card, what you need to know is what are the requirements for the 12v rail in AMPS!!!, The card could draw say 18A, and the rest of the system 5A, so added together, you would need 23A or higher, on the 12V rail or rails if it has more than one. So, you could have a 400W power supply, but the 12V output is rated at 20A, you will be driving that power supply very hard, and it will not work, or not work for very long, if the video card is running hard, and drawing close to max current. You could experience lock ups, crashes, and what not, because your power supply is running out of spec. If your lucky, it has active over current protection, and will just shut down and can be reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back