Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BLUE SCREEN MEMORY REC. DANGER LOW, CLOSE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LONELUVR

Technical User
Mar 17, 2001
US
HI , I HAVE A INTEL SE440BX-2 MOTHERBOARD, 64MB AGP CARD, LINKSYS ETHER, MOTOROLA MODEM PCI, DIRECT CD AND BURNER,IE 5.0 WITH OUTLOOK EXPRESS 5.O, AND HAVE NORTEN SYS WORKS 2001 INSTALLED AND RUNNING,,, WINDOWS 98SE UPDATED
768 MB SDRAM INSTALLED (25% UTILIZED) AND P-III 500 CPU,,

NOW THE PROBLEM,, WILL BE GOING ALONG JUST FINE AND GET BLUE SCREEN,, SYSTEM RESOURCES RUNNING LOW, NOT ENOUGH MEMORY,,THIS WILL BE IN IE5 WHEN I CLICK ANOTHER LINK OR TRY TO OPEN A NEW WINDOW,, THIS ALSO HAPPENS WHEN I TRY TO UPDATE IE5 OR NORTON FILES, SOME TIMES THE NEW WINDOW WILL OPEN AND THEN JUST STALL RIGHT THERE..
WINDOWS IS CONTROLLING THE VIRTUAL MEMORY AND I DONT HAVE ANY OTHER SYSTEM PROBLEMS OR PROGRAMS LOADED AT THE MOMENT..

I advise people I do computer work for to periodically wipe out Windows and reload everything from scratch. Myself, even if I've got a perfectly working system, I will reload Windows and all my software twice a year. If you want to go through with this, I can almost guarantee that your computer will be running more reliably as well as a little more faster.

Whatever is causing your problem, Windows is not working like it should, and for me personally it's not worth spending the time diagnosing the problem.

Have already tried reloading windows, and still have not loaded all of the software that i normally use back onto the system and i am still getting these errors

Look in msconfig at the startup tab and see how many things are loading at startup.Another way is to hit ctrl-alt-del when you get the message and see how many processes are running at the time. My guess is you have a lot starting at startup and each one takes up resources.

Ok,, maybe i should restate this,,, I think 24% utilized is fine,, and shouldnt cause the blue screen error,, I have had up to 55% utilized before and never gotten an error,, so why now??? and it also states that norton AV may not be able to run on the blue screen IS THIS A NORTON PROBLEM???

You have to also remember that Win98 has issues with large ammounts of RAM. Anything over 320meg cannot be "cached" by the system at one time. Try taking your RAM down to this ammount an see if the same errors keep appearing. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

That's great but. But I've been using win98SE with 354 ram and there was no problem what so ever!

Actually that little bit above the CACHE limit wont cause any problems. Its the larger ammounts (really I have noticed anything over 416 to have the issues) So dont worry about that. 700meg + really has issues. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Your biggest problem you will find is that you are probly running the Crash Gaurd junk in System Works..uninstall Crash Guard and try it.

norton utilities 2001 doesnt have crash gaurd, and i also only run the virus scanner in the background,, all other utilites are left off..

TO BUTCHRECON:: I need the 768mbs cause I do a lot of artwork and photo work in corell and photoshop, and to be able to open several pictures and do painting and masking from one photo to another, the 768mb is a nessecity in my case,, Does windowe ME have problems with large memory,, I have been considering switching to it,,,
thanks !!!

Win Me has the same issues. Its with the Win9x kernal. I would suggest Windows 2000. It manages memory so much better and utilizes all memory without any penalties. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Hey butch,
Not really relating to the thread. I had 392 megs of RAM on mine (running ME) and it kept freezing on me. Now, I sold my 128 to my friend and have 256 left. It still freezes but not as often as when I had 392. Is having that much memory an "issue" of ME?
Anyways, I also like to know if I have bad memory is it something else. Oh, my system is a Thunderbird ghz ~ 1.1ghz with temp at 46C or lower with the side open and a house fan blowing on it.

-Feryl

He stated above he is running Norton System Works 2001 and I have seen serval system have problems when you install that goofy Crash Gaurd stuff.
As for memory and Windows ME issues...???Why? I have 256 in my Celeron 600 FPGA system and it never crashes. But then again I run no background software and the game runs mostly games.
My email comes through Hotmail, which clears the viruses, so I don't run a virus program.

Ma3x323,

yes the limitations on system "cache" is present in WinME. (Its has to do with the Win9x kernal). I think in your case it is a hardware problem. Could be RAM or mainboard, or Processor or...

Have it checked out to see what the issue is. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

TO RedOpsWolverine ::: NORTON SYSTEM WORKS 2001 DOES NOT USE CRASH GAURD,,, THE LOWER GRADE NORTON UTILITIES DOES HOWEVER !

SYSTEM 2001 KEEPS YOUR DISK CLEAN AND UNCLUTTERED AND PROTECTS AGAINST VIRUS'S BUT AS STATED I ONLY RUN THE VIRUS SCANNNER..

AND FOR ALL OF THE REST AND ESPECIALLY butchrecon ,, THANKS,, REDUCING THE MEMORY SOLVED THE PROBLEM INSTANTLY AND I HAVE BEEN RUNNING SMOOTH.............
THANKS AGAIN butchrecon !!!

Hey butch,
Isn't there a program to diagnose what is wrong with the system? If anybody else knows, please tell me. Really important.
Thanks for the info butch.

-Feryl

There are many diagnostic programs out there. Unfortunately I do not know of any free ones. I would suggest a diagnostic program that is bootable on floppy and OS independent. That way you can just boot from the floppy and test the hardware. Using this type will keep windows from interfering.
James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Well can you name some? Even if it is not free? Especially ones that you say is BOOTABLE.

Troubleshooter ($500)
PC Doctor (Not sure about price)

You can go to any Computer staore and ask what they have for sale. Best Buy has Check it 2000 for $49. Do an Altavista Search for Diagnostic Software. Plus you will get opinions from others on this forum. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back