Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Screen Encountered when XP is loading 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

czchrn7k

MIS
Aug 7, 2004
US
Plzz....help me ASAP..I've this Sony P3 Notebook...has an external DVD-ROM and external Floppy Drive..the laptop did give me a blue screen on Windows start-up...saying my hard disk or the controllers are corrupted ....run chkdsk \f...remove any recently fixed hardware...-I hadn't installed any new hardware...I slaved the drive on a desktop and noticed some bad sectors...I did run SpinRite and HDD Regenerator on the drive....bad sectors gone....-**Fixed**....I installed XP on the hdd as a standalone(master) on the desktop..everything is perfect on the desktop...I can restart and dont get any blue screen....When I place it in the notebook..Windows XP starts to boot....(logo)...and from nowhere the blue screen appears again..I can't get to boot from the floppy or cdrom on the notebook as these are externals..and the BIOS is so limited that I can't get to boot from them....I tried another working hard drive..got the same blue screen...can u plz help me out of this wedlock ASAP.Thanks

Hi,
You cannot, AFAIK, just move a HDD from 1 machine to another and expect it to boot - The hardware differences would seemingly cause a conflict with the HAL on the drive..

[profile]

***THIS IS THE MESSAGE I GET****
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this screen stop error screen ,restart your computer.If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer,Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption,and then restart your computer.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF96DD640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

PLZ HELP ME....I know of the hardware differences....but how I'm I supposed to go around this with an external floppy drive and CDROM....AND A LIMITED BIOS SETUP NOT ENABLING BOOTING DEVICES FROM USB

Do you need to boot up with the external components connected (why would you want to anyways)? Have you tried just the machine itself without the dvd drive connected? If this works, then you should be able to check the BIOS settings and make sure you have the drivers for the external components properly installed.

Good luck! :)

Thanks Jessiem...
I don't need to boot up with the external components....I don't think the BIOS FOR THE EXTERNAL DEVICES ARE THERE....COZ U CAN'T EVEN ENABLE A A USB DEVICE IN THE BIOS....How do I get to set up an XP or 98 installation with the formatted hard drive and no external devices..bearing in mind the blue screen I'm getting...I hope u understand me..plz lemme hear from u soon....

Use your other machine and install 98 to the Notebook drive and see if returning the drive to the Notebook gives you a better result. If it is acceptable (98 being not as fussy as XP) maybe you could update the 98 on the Notebook to XP using the external drive?

My son has a small dell notebook no floppy or CD, run XP Pro he has killed it 2 times now.
What works well for me is I put drive in a notebook with floppy and CD, made two partition first small 1 meg 2nd large.
I then format first partition win98 /s to make bootable.
then MD win98 on first partistion and xcopy /s all files from the win98se CD to the win98 dir on frist partition.
Put drive back in original notbook and boot up.
CD to C:\win98 and run setup to install win98Se on the frist partition, get installed and you CD Rom working in Win98. Now you can run your XP CD and install XP into the 2nd. partition. You will have a dual boot system witch can be handy. The last time my son's notbook had a problem he had a bad software reg file and some HD errors. I booted the Win98 side fixed the HD errors on partition 2 and used the win98 network side to move the registry files from the system restore to the config dir to repair the system.

Thanks folks...had a pre Win 98 installation in mind like Linney...tried it ..and it worked perfectly...Upgraded to XP on pre-installing the 98....But the Notebook freezes every now and then...can anybody suggest anything for me...???...when I leave it on for quite a long time ..say unattended for say an hour or two....

Trundle through the check list in this article, see what it mentions about bios updates as well as Windows updates.

Have a look in your Event Viewer for any other clues.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

If you want to delve further try these.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

After any install (never mind two) running Disk Cleanup and Defrag is necessary.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

To checkout unnecessary services you are running.

See if you have any services that are flagging as "Starting" but not actually running.

Consider overheating and fan problems too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back