Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue screen crash on w98 shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

sggaunt

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
GB
Hello can anyone suggest a way to debug my problem.

About once in every 20 shutdowns I get a Blue screen of death.
All my system checking utils report everything OK.
the message is
'An exception has occurred at 0028:C0031CA8 in VXD ---.
called from 0028:C003D1F9 in VXD ---'

Glad of any suggestions
Steve..

Hello Steve,
I encountered such problem before and it was the RAM that broken. When I changed to a new one, it worked fine. Until now, there is no problem at all. May be, this could help you to solve this problem. Therefore, I suggest you to check with the RAM.

Thanks for that Jui

I have wondered about the RAM I diddnt pay much for it and the 2 sticks although both 64meg are not from the same manufacturer.
I will try swopping them out, unless anyone has any other suggestions ?

Steve.

The RAM is a very good place to start, but if the problem stays, I recommend going to msconfig (start>run>msconfig>ok)
go to the startup tab and untick any programs that you don't need to run at startup. You should untick both "loadPowerProfile" entries to start with (there not needed). Then go (start>run>regedit>ok) and go (local>software>microsoft>windows>currentVersion>run and runServices) see whats in those that you don't need and delete them.
Another couse for your problem might be that you have some drives mapped to your PC that are cousing the problem but it less lickley.

Hope that helps.
Tom

Just one more thing.
In msconfig General tab, try unticking Process Config.sys and autoexec.bat.

good luck dude !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back