Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blue screen but not of death 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peyton94

Technical User
Oct 12, 2003
US
I built my 4th computer now and when I turned it on for the first time it came up with windows xp with no problems. When I moved it to the computer room to connect it with the other computers in networking situation it gave me a blue screen with wording that says hardware has been added or removed, please contact the manufacturer for specs. The system is an old 200 with 512 meg of memory but it is only reading 578 for some reason. I actually did not add or remove anything and never did plug it in to the network. Really weird as now it will not accept my windows xp disk (which is bought not downloaded)that I used on it. It says there are all these drivers missing. I never have had this happen so have no clue what it is talking about. Any ideas guys/gals.

peyton94

Since it's a new install, remove all partitions and let xp take care of it for you.

I would if I could but it will not let xp in now. I do believe something has happened to the mb. I have other mb's and will try to replace that one and see what happens. Really weird. I now can't get the monitor to show the blue screen even. Just sits there. Thanks for the suggestion and I shall remember that one.

peyton94

Firstly, make yourself a DOS boot disk. Best way is to go to a computer and Format /s in the DOS window. Populate the diskette with DOS finctions, such as FDISK, FORMAT EDIT, good generic CD ROM drives, etc. Make sure all DOS programs were made after 1999. Partition (with FAT32) and Format /s.
Your MoBo should be made after July 1997 for compliance with the new BIOS standards that were implemented industry wise at that time. For example, it should boot from the CD. If not, make the pertinent Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files. Reboot your computer with this diskette. Partition and format the HD. Reinstall XP. It should work if things are as I mentioned above. 200 MHz? Way too slow.

What do you mean by this phrase:

"The system is an old 200 with 512 meg of memory but it is only reading 578 for some reason"

Do you mean 512MB and the machine reading more? Or is it reading 578 bytes? If there's memory confusion, it may mean an old BIOS.

Thanks for the info Sylva. I will try this on the weekend when I have the time. I did a typo on the memory. It should have said 278 which I am interpreting as a bad memory chip. I had 2 256 meg boards in the computer. I also received the 3 beep error when I removed one of the memory boards. I believe that indicates something is wrong with the memory chip. This computer is only going to be used for storage. When you can't afford items then you just cannabolized old machines till your able to put one together. This is the first one that has given me a problem.

peyton94

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back