Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Dot with MIMS or Ellipse? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fgreen

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2004
IE
Has anyone out there any experience of using Blue Dot's product(s) with MIMS or Ellipse please?

I presume you are trying to get Barcoding / mobile computing working with ellipse?

I’ve looked at this product in the past, but it’s very basic with little integration. I’m not aware of any MIMS/Ellipse integration and this is only compounded by the fact that they use proprietary middleware. What are you trying to do anyway?

Many thanks guys, wasn’t aware of the proprietary middleware bit!

We’re simply looking for a handheld device to allow our engineers collect asset attribute information in the field. If we could validate the Asset location as well this would be excellent. We then want to store the data back in Ellipse.

In the future we would look to provide work management functions in the field also.

check out this thread in the Mincom: MIMS Open Enterprise Forum:
thread440-486740 MIMS Using HandHelds

Very simple product suited to simple data collection. Integration is very difficult so it’s fine for stand-alone collection of data, but I wouldn’t touch it for MIMS/Ellipse work.

Just heard on the grapevine that DataStream, a big Blue Dot user, are discontinuing their strategic use of the product because of technical difficulties around product configuration once you go live.

The user friendliness of the product also seems in question for anything other than very simple use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back