Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blown Lexmark 640 printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowz75

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
Printer was plugged into a Dell 16A Hybrid PDU/power strip with a plug supplied with the PDU and it blew up the printer. My question - is there an internal fuse that would have blown or an internal power supply?

If it doesn't have a "wall wart" or a "lump-in-the-middle" AC adapter on the power cable than yes, it has an onboard power supply/DC converter. All AC is is a cheap way to get DC to your gear. If it's AC going in, then there may well be a fuse, fusible link or breaker inside, the only way to tell would be to open it up. Don't count on it, as fuses, even hard-wired fuses, add cost.

If you have an AC-to-DC external power supply then check the output using a meter, chances are that the DC converter has blown.

After looking at pictures on the Lexmark site, it appears the power supply is internal. There may well be some sort of circuit protection inside, but it will require disassembly or a schematic to determine this. I looked at

and others but could not find a schematic, but that doesn't mean it's not out there.

Have you called Lexmark support? One good thing I can say about my Konica-Minolta printers is that their US-based phone support is outstanding, even with out-of-warranty machines. Best of luck.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back