Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bloody filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigsby

Technical User
Sep 23, 2002
GB
OK ily dokily

Well guys I have posted this before in a similar way and seshanalyst had a few good ideas. however I have a SQL server and as we do a dump of the db files I don't need to back up:
c:\program files\microsoft Sql Server

this is excluded using the whole whole network path as above and

* Sql sever

Also have two files:

c:\All users\application data\Microsoft\network\downloader\qmg0.dat & qmg1.dat

Have excluded all file with qm*.dat

Yet both sql folders and qmd files are both showing as file violation not accesable.

I m really unhappy with this app - please help me!

If I m being thick then I can accept that but I just want to get this sorted as it's been dragging on for weeks!

Cheers

What is the exact parameter that you use to exclude these files.

Are u trying to exclude files on a remote machine if so are you using a client agent .If you use a client agent then exclude it from there.

STORAGEBOY

used the exclude parameter and then then: *SQL Server

and directory

c:\program files\Microsoft Sql server

This is on a remote machine but have excluded on the client not the arcserve server

Like a lot of the CA products I have used this is another example of core functionality that just doesn't work. Well sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't...

I usually set up filters for the whole job in the backup\filter menu. However sometimes they just don't work. If so try right clicking on the client node in the job modify screen and adding the filter to that node only. That ususally works.

For sql server we just exclude the large files eg:
exclude files *.mdf;*.ldf

I have found it hard to work out how to exclude folders (for example unc paths don't work only local paths eg: e:\folder)

(This is for sql 7 / 2000 you have to exclude the dump files for older sql.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back