Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Windows Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

msoffq

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to block Windows Messenger from being accessible to the Internet. I guess I am looking for a port to block.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

if the question you're asking is to stop Windows Messenger from starting everytime u online, then here's the answer

open sysoc.inf in \windows\inf\ and delete all the 'hide' word, remember not to delete any comma, example:

before -> NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,hide,4
after -> NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,,4

the easiest way is to do a search/replace the word hide with nothing, save, and go into add/remove program and scroll down, you'll see windows messenger, uncheck to take it out, and you're all good to go

alpha

Another thing to get is Sygate's Personal firewall. It will inform you what programs are trying to connect to the internet and you can either give it access or deny it access to the internet.

Thanks for the replies. What I am looking for is stopping users in a corporate environment from using this feature. I should have been a little more detailed in my first post.
Thanks again for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back