Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Web sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

max8699

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2006
AU
Hi all,
I have been given the task of looking after the servers for a small school. First thing i noticed is they don't have any web filtering at all (well limited through the router)and they have no money. So Is there a free way to block students from getting to Youtube etc.. but still letting the teachers through? They are running server 2003 and xp on client machines. There is about 40 pc's on site that the students use.
Had read there was a way you could block sites using GP, tried that but it did not seem to work. So has anybody tried or is using any other free software successfully to block sites.

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Had read there was a way you could block sites using GP, tried that but it did not seem to work

What exactly did you try? Which group policy setting?

Paul
MCTS: Exchange 2007, Configuration
MCSA:2003
MCSE:2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

I would 2nd opendns as a fast, simple, and cheap solutions. I use it at home to keep my kid out of trouble.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Here is a very inexpensive proxy server you could check out.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back