Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blocking unwanted website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your best option would be a third party product like SurfControl.

Use a Proxy Server like WinRoute PRO from Kerio. I use it and I have the ability to restrict access tp sites using parts of the URL. For example If i use the key word *nude* it will restrict things like or allow you to see but not It also seems to have the apility to restrict pictures as well. So if the picture has the key word in it, it will not appear.

BH2

Disclaimer - I don't know if any of the above URLs really work, just giving examples.

Here is an approach to the problem! You already have the abilty to find out when someone has been using the internet for someting other than business related subjects right? Then start docking them for usage (1 hour each time). Note: Before you can deduct pay, you have to inform them in writing that you are going to do so and get them to sign it. Keep this in their personell files. If you are lucky they will get the hint. A blocker program can be worked around. But if they could work around the blocker, they would be able to cover their tracks!

Just a thought. Tigerflight
Everyone has their two cents worth. Lets all try to donate our two cents and maybe we all can come up with a Dollars worth of advice!!!!!

To TigerFlight

That's an interesting point that I am looking into at my work, as part of our Internet and Email policy. As a point of interest how do you decide acceptable and excessive use?

Well as you know, everyone will tend to mess-off at work. It is a given. If you work 8 hrs a day, you will give about 7 hrs of good work. So I guess you could say that anyting between 5 to 10 mins an hour would be acceptible. [sup]Tiger[/sup][sub]Flight[/sub] [tiger]
Everyone has their two cents worth. Lets all try to donate our two cents and maybe we all can come up with a Dollars worth of advice!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back