Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blocking tcp port 125

Status
Not open for further replies.

ycp

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2001
US
Hi all,
My organization got hit pretty bad with the blaster worms. Network folks decide to close all the tcp port 125 on the routers to slow down the infection. Since then Exchange Server 5.5 that I use for private internal email (sending status messages) seem to have performace issues. Someone told me that Exchange clients utilize port 125 for authenication and probably timing out due to the block and using different port to communicate. Could this be the cause of the problems?
Also separate issue. Getting multiple logons from same people. Usually three logons. This is causing problem with licensing. Any ideas?
As you can tell I'm cluesless with Exchange. Just one of those things that I got stuck with.

thanks in advance.

-Patrick-

Ports 69, 593, and 4444 and 135 should be shut down for the blaster virus. Not sure what port 125 does exactly but that is not afected by blaster.

Either way we have those ports shut down and are having no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back