Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Skype

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperform

IS-IT--Management
Aug 17, 2006
TR
Hello we have 80+ users and a Firebox 700 firewall. Since we blocked other im softwares, users have begun to use Skype. I cannot block Skype in port level because it uses port 443 and 80 if it doesnt connect from other ports. but as you know, it is impossible to block these ports. I can block remote server addresses of Skype but Skype changes their server addresses almost every day. And program always finds an avalaible server that we didnt know its address before. I searched on the web to find a solution but all suggestions i have applied didnt work. Any suggestion to block Skype forever? For example Application signature? But i dont know if Watchguard supoorts application signature protocol and if it does, how can i do this. Please help :(

Someone from Watchguard mentioned briefly to me about setting up dummy DNS resolves to block skype. I personally can't see how this would work, however I'm in the same position as you and need to get this blocked! If I find anything I'll let you know.
With the Gateway AV/IPS you can block peer to peer sharing apps with signatures there isn't one release for skype though I don't think.

I dont know much , How skype works.
but you can try to block these two Ip address ranges from inside network.

To : 195.215.8.0 - 195.215.8.255
212.72.49.128 - 212.72.49.159

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back