Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmandu

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to block certain internet sites from the server ? I have users that are on our network that are constantly going to sites that they shouldn't be. I really cant budget for a package that does this ??? any ideas

Thanks

Have you tried using any ACLs? You can set them up to block specific IPs or even entire networks. Let me know how it goes.

If your firewall/router/gateway/whatever has an address blocking/redirection function, I'd do it there. This will cut off those addresses for everyone.

If you cant afford some sort of proxy server, you could always edit the hosts files to point the domains you dont want people going to a different IP.

You can set up a proxy server running some linux/bsd dist with the Squid proxy software on!

I have put up a FreeBSD server with squid on and it working perfect blocks everything i tell it to do!

Best regards Dth71

I agree with "dth71". Using a proxy server is the best solution for blocking unwanted web access. It easily configurable and usually includes more options than blocking at a firewall/router level. Unless your using a Watchguard Firebox (They ROCK!). You can also use a Windows-based free version at Delegate.

Other low-cost Windows-based proxy solutions are WinProxy ( ezproxy ( Proxy+ (
Hope this helps! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back