Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Issues w/ Win XP Home upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpiper

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
US
Hello, first time posting here but have been using tips for quite a while. Here is my Q:

I am currently running Win ME and decided to upgrade to XP Home...when I get started with the install I am getting this blocking issue:

Secure Remote
Secure Remote must be removed before you upgrade
Windows. You can reinstall the program after the
upgrade is complete.

Normally that wouldnt be a problem, BUT I cannot seem to find Secure Remote anywhere on my PC...I know I installed it a long time ago but I also uninstalled it shortly after. Where could this file be??? Possibly under a different name? I have tried everything that I know of...any help would be great at this point.

Thanks,

C

cpiper
I'll bet it's in the registry. Did you remove it using "add and remove programs"? If not, you may need to re-install, and properly remove to clean up the registry.

Careful. I don't believe Microsoft supports upgrading Win ME to any other OS. That's how good Win ME is. Scary, huh?

bullhlms,

thanks but I've tried that already too....found it in regedit and deleted it and also reinstalled it with different hotfixes to no avail. Ugh!!

FormerHPB,

I'm on hold for support right now at Microsoft....I guess we'll see.

Small note: Clean install of XP is much preferred to upgrade for future stability (ie, backup, format drive, install XP and reinstall apps, copy back backed up data). You can do this with upgrade version of XP (you'll need ME install disk to present to machine during XP install).

Thanks all...seems there were a few things that I missed in the registry. By the way, Microsoft does support the ME upgrade to XP. Glad I talked to them b/c we found some odd file names that would have otherwise never crossed my mind.

Thanks again,

C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back