Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino59

Technical User
Jan 12, 2004
US
I have wireless Internet Access at home and my Next Door Neighbor is been using it without my consent, I've told him to stop and he keeps doing it. How can I block him from accesing it. I'm running WinXp Pro w/. svc pack 2 and I have a Linksys Router. I know I can simply pull the plug on the router or modem, but I also know I can block him with software settings, please help. I need step by step instructions as to how to do it.

Thanks

Have you tryed setting up static IP addreses on your router. I am not sure how to do it on a linksys being that I have a U.S. Robotics my self, but usally you can go into your I.E. and put in 192.168.100.1 in your address bar to get to your Router configurations page. Some where in there, is a section for blocking IP addresses. You can set it up to only accept your computers IP and block all others. You may want to look it up in your hand book for your router.

Ace

Goto site or access your router manual on CD. Look for Appendix B: Wireless Security or similar. It identifies the checklist details for the following Security Precautions (Item 4, in particular - placing his network card MAC address on the restricted list will deny him access):

The following is a complete list of security precautions to take (at least steps 1 through 5 should be followed):
1. Change the default SSID.
2. Disable SSID Broadcast.
3. Change the default password for the Administrator account.
[highlight]4. Enable MAC Address Filtering.[/highlight]

MAC Addresses. Enable MAC Address filtering. MAC Address filtering will allow you to provide access to only
those wireless nodes with certain MAC Addresses. This makes it harder for a hacker to access your network with
a random MAC Address.

For information on implementing these security features, refer to “Chapter 5: Configuring the Wireless-G
Broadband Router.”

The Wireless Tab - Wireless MAC Filter
- details in manual (page 25?)

You should be able to find a dropdown list of historical 'MAC' accesses and add it to your filtered (blocked) MAC addresses.

5. Change the SSID periodically.
6. Use the highest encryption algorithm possible. Use WPA if it is available. Please note that this may reduce
your network performance.
7. Change the WEP encryption keys periodically.

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back