Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking incoming calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

olsoth

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2009
US
In a Avaya PBX server system, how does one go about blocking an INCOMING call? There are two scenarios. First, a user not part of a callcenter. Second, a user who is part of a callcenter. My colleague and I were discussing a few weeks back and I think it somehow needs to be done at the trunk level. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've done this before by using a vector and a VRT. Basically, anywhere before the extension you just send it to the vector instead of the extension. Have the vector check the ANI against the VRT. If it matches drop the call if not send it to the extension. Then just put all the numbers you want blocked in the VRT. This should work for both callcenter and not. If it's a single extension the above should work perfect. If it's the callcenter agent you would probably want to do the check before the call is queued.

I do this using EC500. I create an EC500 station, put the offending number in the Cell Phone Number field, and change the Mapping Mode to "orgination". Then I give the station a unique COR that I have set up with the Calling Party Restriction set to "orgination". This works for all inbound calls, regardless of the destination.

Susan
"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't."
- Anatole France

What release of CM or Definity do you have? Depending on the software load, I used to use a combo of incoming call handling treatment, sending the offending ani to a vdn/vector that plays an announcement and then disconnects call.

It would be ch inc tru xx, (trunk group) that the inbound-offending calls come in on. Set up a digit replacement for the 4 digit ext to point to VDN. That VDN would then filter for the offending ani or route call to extension.

Susan's suggestion works well. I've used it, I've also used the trunk level and VDN idea.

Both of these though are limited to the extent that they are based on ANI. If the caller blocks thier number, or calls from different numbers all your programming is out the window.

It might be helpful to have the call treatment from the trunk\vdn setup do something other than disconnect, like ring no answer or go to a mailbox that gets deleted. That way the person being blocked doesn't know something is up.

rtmckee

CM 2.1.1
Prologix R9.05
Modular Messaging 1.1

In the case that multiple ani's are involved, then I've used the VRT option as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back