Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Hotmail, yahoo and Messenger Services 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqladmin99

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
US
Hi All,

We have network of 20 computer under one domain. Operating systems are W2K Server and W2K Pro. We have one T1 line coming in through some kind of router (I don't have access to this router. ISP maintain it) and all of the computers are connected to router through the switch with 25 ports.

Recently my manager asked me to block 'hotmail' and 'yahoo' website. He doesn't want anyone to use any kind of messengers (yahoo, MSN, ICQ, AOL) service too. He also want me to configure one computer on network which can be used to access all of the blocked websites (hotmail and yahoo) and messenger services.

What would be the best way to handle this.
I appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you,
RS

Thank you all for showing your interest in my post.
'veeran', we have one exchange server running on dedicated machine. We don't have any web server.

Thanks

RS

veeran@dotcomsolutions.co.za

is your entire lan on external IP 's or do you have a small range of external ip's running on your network.

ie

servers running on external ip range and internal pc's running on 192.168... range .

if this is your setup put two nics on exchange server one for the external range and one for the internal range.

Proxy server do the same.

problem solved

pc's will query the proxy server for web traffic and the internal ip of the exchange server for the emails.

you now have a firewall
could have a cache server
and best of all

no more hotmail, yahoo, ...
you can even block web address as well as ip's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back