Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking\Filtering Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoseManuel

Instructor
Feb 9, 2001
US
Greetings, people,

I've been checking my computer (Windows 2000 Server) open ports and I found some that I really didn't need, like 13 Daytime and 17 Quote of the day, so I want to close them. I was told that in order to achieve that I had to disable the service related to that port, so I investigated a little and found the Simple TCP/IP Services service; the problem is it didn't disactivate port 17 QOTD, so it's still open and I don't need it... any easy way to filter blocks without using a firewall?

Thanks!

Make sure you disable simple tcp/ip services, then reboot the computer. If 17 is still open, check for a service called TCP or UDP QOTD service, its probably just bundled with the TCP simple service, but it might be on its own. I don't know.

Simply stopping one service does not mean it will stop all services associated with it. Sometimes ports will stay open even after their service is stopped (until reboot). Services are sometimes set up to start automatically, so you need to make sure that they are disabled. ________________________________________
Check out

If you go to ip/properties/advanced/options/ip filter/properties you can open and close any ports you want either TCP or UDP or both. The above was based on XP but the TCP/IP filter concept is not new and from earlier additons of the nt kernal platforms. A+ N+ Sec+ SME/Sec+

Thanks, people. That's the way I'm doing it. Since I use win2k, I do the following:

Select My Network Places\Properties
Select Properties from the connection I'm using
Select Properties from TCP-IP
Push the Advance Button
Select the Options tab
Select TCP-IP filtering and Properties

And there it is!!! The solution to my problems... this time.

Thanks for answering

you can also use IPSec filtering for basic firewalling... it appears to be more robust than TCPIP Filtering --------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried using TCP/IP filtering in the advanced properties of your NIC?

Jake Garcia
NT Administrator
MCSA, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back