Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Extensions in UPD Table from use 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanm

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
US
We currently have some extension in UDP table that will show up in unused extension list and have been used for station numbers that inadvertently re-route the calls. Anyway to block these numbers from use? or at least block them from showing up on an unused extension report?

On your ASA System Property's screen there may be a check box "Consider Uniform Dial Plan data in Dial Ranges" that will be checked or unchecked.

I've just tested this and when it's checked I don't see UDP numbers available in my extension lists...

This is a great tip, but unfortunately that IS checked and the number still appears on the extensions available for assignment list. I made certain the number really WAS in the Uniform Dial Plan. Would there be such an idea of making the extension a VDN and then routing to a number in the UDP table or would it look there in that format for the number it was to route to?

This is odd; I have four extensions in my UDP; 3 do not appear in the unused extension list. The 4th one does show up as available. Very odd.

Susan
"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." - Oscar Wilde, An Ideal husband, 1893

I mark my UDP ranges with VDN's so that someone doesnt grab an extension and assign it for use as something other than a UDP extension. It works, but you have to make sure your UDP Extension Search Order is UDP-table-first.

Trav4620,
When you say "mark" your UDP ranges with VDN's do you mean just assign the number a VDN? Can you give me an example? The number I wish to make certain is not IN the unused extension list is say 1234. Can you give me an example using that extension?
Thank you too, Susan for confirming that I am not crazy! That was greatly appreciated! : )

Jean

Yes, just assign your extension 1234 as a vdn. I usually assign them and label them with "UDP Range Only". It doesnt really matter what any of the vdn settings are, because the system won't really be looking at it as a VDN extension because it is looking for that entry in the UDP table first. That way it wont show in your unused extensions, and you will be reminded that it is setup as UDP if you do a 'list extension-type' or an extension export etc.

Again this only works if your search order is UDP-table-first. 'Display Dialplan Parameters' will tell you what you have configured as the search order.

EXT Type Name
--- ---- ----
62430 VDN-extension UDP Range Only

Trav4620,
Darn... ours is set to local-extension-first BUT my idea above may still work if I use the main number as a VDN and route in the vector to a secondary number in the UDP table to where this number was supposed to go. I actually tried this by setting up a VDN and routing to the number in the UPD table and it went to that number. It seemed to work. I can't help but think there is a gotcha somewhere...

Jean

Is there any reason you couldnt change the search order to UDP first? If you could change that setting, it would be a bit cleaner setup and wouldnt end you up in a possible gotcha situation...

That could be a possibility. I will pose that question to our staff and see if other set-ups might be confused with this change.

Thank you all for your replies and comments. If you still have ideas, I am still listening!

Jean

Trav4620, thank you for posting your solution to this issue. We just installed RightFax and I was struggling on how I could "account" for the extensions we are using in the UDP table for this product. Problem now solved!

Susan
"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." - Oscar Wilde, An Ideal husband, 1893

All,
Avaya support says making the number a VDN and replacing all current 1234's numbers with a second number and routing to that second number in a vector will work as well when using the extension first parameter. The number will not appear on the un-used extension list.
Thanks all!

Jean

Just a thought, because I have had this problem at my site, I have a single vector that routes the calls to the appropriate extension, and I pass a VDN variable to a vector and use a single vector to route the calls...

Assign V1 to XXXX (extension) in VDN, and then create a vector that does nothing but route to V1...

Again, just a thought...

gblucas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back