Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking .Exe, .zip and .scr file on PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralwyn

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2003
US
Hello everyone:

My company requested to block certain file extention (.exe, .zip and .scr) from the PIX firewall. I know how to block specific ports - I have never configured to block specific extension files. Please help!

Thank you all in advance,
ralwyn

I assume you want filter incoming email. The PIX cannot do that. You will have to filter those extensions at your email server.

Andy

andf1:
Can I use access-list to block this files for incoming? If so, please help.

Thank you,
ralwyn

The PIX cannot do that, pix only goes up to layer for.. What you're asking for is a layer 7 feature. Therefor it has to happen somewhere else..

BuckWeet

Hi
You should consider to use a mail hub using mimedefang/spamassassin/dcc in your dmz.
Regards
Vincent

Install a proper antivirus software on your e-mail server. I would recommend Antigen from Sybari ( it´s available for both Exchange (all versions) and Lotus Notes. It uses several scan-engines from diefferent companies. And no, I´m not affiliated to Sybari in any way, just a happy customer! :)

Everyone:

Thanks for all the great advice. We decided that we have to implement another server and install content filtering and virus scanning.

Again, thanks everyone.

-ralwyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back