Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking ex-employees incoming mail 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foduck

MIS
Sep 17, 1999
US
Visit site
Is there a away to block incoming email addresses?&nbsp;&nbsp;Ex. <A HREF="mailto:jblow@company.com">jblow@company.com</A> quits.&nbsp;&nbsp;Can I block/return mail that comes to <A HREF="mailto:jblow@company.com">jblow@company.com</A>?&nbsp;&nbsp;All this mail now goes into the general mailbox and is a hassle cleaning it out everyday.

For internal mail users hide his address book on the advanced tab of the mailbox object.&nbsp;&nbsp;Next, place a restiction on the mailbox under the Delivery Restictions Tab...User Can Only Receive email from....Select your administrator account.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even outside SMTP mail will get an NDR stating the restriction.

Thanks!&nbsp;&nbsp;What about addresses that I've deleted mailboxes for?&nbsp;&nbsp;Can I put their email address as part of the list of email addresses of an ex-employee who's mailbox I have not deleted with the restriction as you suggest?&nbsp;&nbsp;Will all these addresses become non-deliverable?

Why would you want emails coming in to ex employees? Two scenarios:<br><br>It is a mailbox for a specific position. Create new mailbox for new person and add email address for old person to them.<br><br>Other than that just delete the email account and then all emails get bounced for that user. <p>Zel<br><a href=mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk>zel@zelandakh.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks for the info-I don't want ex-employee's mail.<br>I manage the general mailbox that emails are delivered to that have the right extension, but misspelled names.&nbsp;&nbsp;So if someone sends a email message to <A HREF="mailto:jblow@company.com">jblow@company.com</A> but spells it <A HREF="mailto:jlow@company.com">jlow@company.com</A>, it is delivered to the general mailbox (me) and I forward it on to jblow.&nbsp;&nbsp;Unfortunatly, it also accepts ex-employees mail.<br><br>So you are saying that all email addresses that are in the rejected mailbox will get the undeliverable message?

You may need to stop recieving to a general mailbox and let it bounce to users who either have it wrong or are emailing x-employees.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since the email addresses have been removed from the Exchange route as their accounts have been deleted , there is really no way to set up an exclusion list without going to some external routing program for exchange IMC (I don't know of any).&nbsp;&nbsp;

You could also set up a client rule for the general mailbox to automatically delete any messages addressed to <A HREF="mailto:jblow@company.com">jblow@company.com</A>

A server based rule would work here as well, even better maybe.

If u need to hold on the users email/mailbox for security issues. hide the mailbox, but delete the smtp address.<br><br>

Has anyone found a solution to this issue yet? I have tried the different things listed and I am still receiving emails for ex-employees and for invalid email addresses? There has to be a solution to this out there somewhere!

This basic idea came from someone else on tek-tips (I wish I remembered who so they would get the credit) I use this and it works great so far...

For external mail:
1. Create new mailbox called Old Employees and hide it from address book.
2. Put the SMTP names of the ex-employees here (i.e. jlow_b@mail.company.com)
3. Add any misspellings that you receive in the general mbox too (i.e. jblo_w@mail.company.com) Now all these messages will get delivered to a single mbox.

You can give your primary mail account permission to open this box and go through it weekly/monthly (I then add all the junk mail senders to my IMC filter and forward those messages that may have some value to the employee now responsible.)

Or you can set this one mbox resource limit really small (so once there is 1MB in the inbox, this mbox can no longer receive mail.) I don't know what exact message the sender would receive after the mbox hits the limit, but if the traffic to your ex-employees is junk mail, those aren't valid reply addresses anyway.

(And perhaps that important customer who forgot to change their contact info would call to ask why when they try to send to jlow_b they get a &quot;User mbox is too full and cannot receive mail&quot; error...)

Alex

I was able to find the solution to this problem in the &quot;ExchangeFAQ&quot; portion of Tek-tips. Thread10-128016. The solution is in &quot;Exchange Admin - Connections - IMS - Internet Mail tab - Notifications tab - deselect &quot;email address could not be found&quot;. Worked for me. I tested it by sending an email to an invalid email account here and one to a former employees email address - I received an undeliverable for both and nothing in my Exchange Admin mailbox. Yippppeeee!

I use a wonderful hardware firewall applicance that includes an smtp proxy that allows me to block specific email addresses and even email attachments. I know this is not a solution to your problem, but its something to think about. They are not cheap, they start at about $4,000.00 but they are very good. They are called Firebox.

Ashley

A slight variation of the above - once you create the mailbox &quot;former employees&quot;, before you hide it, go into Outlook and create a rule to reply with subject remove unsubscribe stop and follow it up with a rule to delete the email.

Then you don't need to monitor the mailbox.

Zelandakh,

How does that rule get stored? If I use my client to temporarily log onto the old employee mailbox doesn't this rule get placed into my primary (Administer) mailbox too?

(I am thinking that rules in Outlook are stored in Outlook on the client side...is this wrong?)

Alex

No - rules are stored with the primary mailbox client. If you are using Outlook 2k you can create server side rules that run even when Outlook is not in use.

How do you set up a general mail box to catch all mistyped email.

Nick

It is done automatically Nick. It is the administrator mailbox. Go to the IMC and you'll be able to set who is the administrator and all failed emails go to that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back