Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Client Software from installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatmiser

Technical User
Jun 30, 2000
US
I actually have two questions:<br><br>1. How can I block client software from being installed on our servers?<br><br>2. Our PDC keeps freezing up in the mornings when a lot of users are loging on, but when I stop the SMS client services, the PDC is ok.&nbsp;&nbsp;What should I do to fix this?

On SMS Site Swerver, navigate to.....<br>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Components<br>On the edit menu click new, choose Key, and type following for the new key..SMS_DISCOVERY_DATA_MANAGER<br>With the new key selected, on edit menu, click Add Value, and add the following:<br>Value Name:Exclude Servers<br>Data Type:REG_MULTI_SZ<br>VALUE:&lt;computer names to exclude&gt;<br>modify the&nbsp;&nbsp;names to exclude as the Windows NT computer names you want to exclude from receiving client components installed on them...<br>If it is more severe of a problem..go to<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

You might look into making more servers in your domain CAP's and distribution points.&nbsp;&nbsp;If your PDC is the only CAP and Distribution Point, then it will have to service every request for SMS activity.&nbsp;&nbsp;Adding more CAP's and DP's will releive this bottleneck.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you prevent SMS clients from being installed on your servers, you won't be able to remote control them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back