Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Bookmarking? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danima

Programmer
Jan 9, 2002
CA
Is it possible to block someone from bookmarking a page?

no

-kaht

[small]How spicy would you like your chang sauce? Oh man... I have no idea what's goin' on right now...[/small]
[banghead]

What is the reasonsing for blocking the bookmark?

You cannot prevent the browser from doing client-side things but if you are trying to enforce visitors to specific pages rather than allowing them into sub pages there are other ways to do that. You can use server side redirects to determine which page a person reaches. For instance on Apache servers you could use an HTAccess page to intercept any incoming request and pass it to a script to determine where it should be sent based on whatever criteria you have. You can do this in such a way that the browser displayed URL does not truly represent the path you actually deliver the page content from.

If you are trying to do something like this then your best bet is to go to a forum supporting the server you are running from or at least a forum representing the server-side language you are able to use.

It's hard to think outside the box when I'm trapped in a cubicle.

Thanks....figured as much but I have a client who needed to hear it from the experts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back