Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blocking attachements on Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2001
US
Is there a place in the Internet Connector that I can block a specific attachment (file name). I see a place to block email addresses, but I have yet to see a place that I could block a specific file name.

Scooter Oehlerking
Network Engineer
Lockheed Martin

You can not block attachments with the IMS connector. I block attachments using my vrius scan software. (mcafee Groupshield 4.5)

Norton for Exchange has this same feature. I've rejected viruses before they were detected by blocking *.exe, *.com, and so on.

If you use Outlook, you can update it to SR-1 which does not let you open attachemnts that are potentially dangerous (exe, com, bat, etc) it only let's you save it, not open it and when you try to save it, and your anti-virus is working right, your anti-virus will warn you if the file has a virus. This has stopped hundreds of viruses from spreading in our site. Also, you can upgrade Outlook further by getting the security update which can let you control the types of attachents from the server. You can find out more about it here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back