Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave092459

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2004
US
I want to block certain emails comming into my mail server (5.5). It does not matter if it is by context/ subject matter or if it is by address. Where would I do this at, the IMC or just under one of the configurations for my servers, all same site. I am also running NAV gateway outside my firewall if that has any relivence. Thanks

Dave

its probably better to run the blocking operation on the gateway because it wont bother your Exchange's CPU to do these blocking decisions

XM

Come on, there has to be a way in 5.5 to do this. I cant find anything in technet nor the KB on this, but my gut tells me there is a way to block certain inbound emails by either address or subject matter. I want to do this at the server level for everybody, not a rule at the client. Come on Guru,s where u at?

Dave

You can block email addresses and IP addresses at Exchange in 5.5 but not subject. If its spam you're blocking it will be a never ending battle as the spammers spoof email addresses.

We use XWall ( which sits between you're firewall and exchange server. It uses minimal resources and stops spam from ever hitting the exchange server.

Cheers.

To: cmeagan656
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking I had to buy somthing and that this was not a feature within Exchange. We are running a PIX firwall. I wonder if this would be compatable. I will have to ask the tech support team at that web site you sent me to that question.
I bet I could get the Firewall engineer to block some of these addresses the same way that your suggested product does. Oh well, thanks a million for you help :)

Dave

Open exchange administrator, expand "Configuration" -> "Connections", double click "Internet Mail Service", "Connections" tab. Click on Message Filtering and you can insert entire email domains. I have @paypal and @zwallet blocked to prevent financial transactions. But like they said this is labor intensive for the server so be careful how many you put in there.

Thank you Destinysdream,
You know I did end up finding this exact location to filter out messages. I also found in my N.A.V. gateway software a way to block addresses as well. Thank you so much. You where right on the money. Have a great day.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back