Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking a ping (ICMP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbolya

ISP
Jul 21, 2000
US
I know putting a SCO box on the internet with a public IP is not the smartest thing to do. But I'm interested if anyone knows how to keep the interface from being "Ping-able"? Couldn't find a SCO article on stopping ICMP but I fiugre it's just a service that is running and can be stopped.

You would need to setup something like tcp-wrappers, snort,
or some other IP filtering software.

I do not think you can do this with the out of the box OS.

I have set up tcp-wrappers on Linux and freebsd. It does a real good job.

Any reason you would not want to put this box behind a firewall ??

-Danny

I'm looking into some of the ideas mentioned above. If I can't get some kind of firewall or packet filtering to work then I just might have to consider putting the interface back on the inside.

Thanks folks.

jimbolya,

let me know if how it works.

dcd@pop.mainstreet.net

-Danny

I have the opposite problem. I have SCO that I cannot get a linux client to ping. Also cannot ping the linux box from the SCO box. I am using win98 boxes as terminals to the SCO box and have no trouble with them. Is SCO sensitive to the type eth card you use? This is the only piece I have not cahnged on the liunx box 5 times or more. It is a 10/100 linksys eth card.

Kerryb,

It sounds like to can ping the SCO box from other nodes. The problem here is pinging the linux host.

Questions:
Can you ping the linux the host from any other node ?

Run this command on the linux box

ifconfig -a

There sound be two entries. lo and eth0

The problem could be any number of things. Does the linux machine and the SCO machine use the same gateway entry ?

If you can provide a little more detail we can get yuor problem solved.

-Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back