Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block Printer Use 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessGuruCarl

Programmer
Jul 3, 2004
US

Hello,

I'm running WinXP Pro with several user accounts.

Is there a way to prevent a user from printing to the default printer.

Their account is setup as User.

Isn't thier a registry setting I can use to deactivate.

Something like NoPrinter

But I'm not sure where to put it!

Thanks in advance

AccessGuruCarl
Programmers helping programmers
you can't find a better site.

stop de spool service... ( in processes listed as spoolsv.exe ).Without that , there will not be to much printing :)

rgds,

R.

Thanks for the quick reply RMGBELGIUM.

Is there a way to create a logon script or something to prevent this from loading on my son's account.

See my problem is, he likes to print the same thing several times and is just wasting ink.

Once the service is stopped, how do I restart it if I want to print something for him? Would I need to login as myself and print it from a shared folder?

Thanks Again.

AccessGuruCarl

should be able to remove him from the printer permissions, or set print spooler service to manual, then when he wants to print he can call you in - you start it and remain while he prints only 1 copy !

Laters, phat, headshape

You can use simple script files to start or stop the print spooler service.

Save these lines as stop.vbs and put in sons Startup folder

strService = " 'Print Spooler' "
Set colListOfServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Service Where Name ="_
& strService & " ")
For Each objService in colListOfServices
objService.StopService()
Next
WScript.Quit

Now save these lines as start.vbs and put someplace where you can find it.
pass = InputBox("What is your password?")
if pass <> "password" then
wscript.Quit
else
strService = " 'Print Spooler' "
Set colListOfServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Service Where Name ="_
& strService & " ")
For Each objService in colListOfServices
objService.StartService()
Next
end if
WScript.Quit

If you need to print for him you can run the start.vbs, enter the password and then print (after the service starts, sometimes takes ~30 seconds.)

Of course, setting the Print Spooler service to Manual and then starting it up when he needs to print something, will be secure for one sitting only. How would you stop him from peering over your shoulder and watching what you do?

Perhaps the permissions route is the way to go, in which case you would need to log in and print it off for him. If you leave Fast-User-Switching enabled, this should prove to be much easier. Also, if your account is an administrator account you can access any file on the hard drive you choose, so he wouldn't need to put the file in Shared Folders.

Ahdkaw

Thanks guys these all sound like good ideas.

I like the permissions the best, I've looked around but cannot locate where I set permissions for the printer.

Any Ideas...

AccessGuruCarl

I can't locate the Security Tab on the printer options.

I checked this on another PC running Win2000 and the Security Tab is there, however when I try it on WinXP the Tab does not exist.

Is there a setting somewhere I need to change for the Tab to be present in XP?

Thanks...

AccessGuruCarl

I could be wrong though, as I have "Simple File Sharing" enabled and I can still see my Security tabs (although perhaps this is due to my Win 2000 Server Default Domain Policy).

Ahdkaw

You could also try setting the availability of the printer, say from midnight to 1 minute after midnight. Do it from the printer properties of the printer from your sons printer.

Also, you can go into the printer settings, open properties, click on security and check/uncheck permissions there. This SHOULD be enough to disallow printing from your sons computer (or at least users from where your sons uses the computer)

Thanks ahdkaw,

This is what I was looking for. Here's a STAR....

I'll try it tonight.

Carl

AccessGuruCarl

Install a new printer on your son's account and make that printer the default. Any printer will do... I used HP laserjet 4. On the ports tab, choose "NUL". Anything printed to this printer goes nowhere, but won't cause the application to report print errors.

This works for kids under 10 years old or so (older than that and they figure out how to work around it).

Thanks everyone who posted.

ahdkaw was correct.

You need to deselect "Simple File Sharing".

You can find that in Win Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View

Here's a star!

And thanks again.

AccessGuruCarl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back