Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block MP3 download using squid

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggy2151

MIS
Oct 22, 2002
SG
Hi

I am to block downloading of MP3 songs in my office network.
Below is my script
acl denymp3 urlpath_regex -i \.MP3$
http_access deny denymp3
http_access allow all
It doesn't seems to work?
Can anyone assist.
Thanks

leave off the $ ?

is this the first allow/deny statement in your file? are you letting people access files before this point?

how many urls have you tested this against? if the link has something after it on the line; with the $ at the end of the string it will allow the file to download.

have you tried doing \.mp3 instead of \.MP3$ ?

just a suggestion.

another suggestion is to add other things to the list to deny, like '\.htm' and see if it stops those, for testing purposes.

Hello,

I find this thread interesting - could somebody please tell me where you put the script?

Keep it clean! :O)

cheers,

jono

in the squid.conf file in $SQUID_HOME/etc/squid.conf ...

I was wondering if you ever got a solution for your problem. I am running Squid for windows and I am trying to block the downloading of .mp3 as well as .gif .jpeg files from people who are logged onto my server. I cannot figure it out. Thought maybe you can help?

erm, as far as i am aware, squid access controls work downwards.. ie squids reading that it should block mp3's, then that it should allow everything!

thats correct ... which is what he asked for ... and what he showed ...

nono, i mean his denymp3 line should be below the allow all line

squid reads down the file till it finds a rule that matches, then it stops looking.

why bother checking further if you had a line marked 'deny all' at the top of the file.

Hi -

You might want to checkout Akonix at They have a perimeter device that effectively blocks all popular P2P, as well as gives you true management of public Instant messaging.

They were recently favorably reviewed in eWeek. :)

Piggy,
Did the change suggested by jono261970 in regard to your MP3 blocking work? I would be interested to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back