Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block Level Incr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgrntldVeritasUser

Technical User
Oct 6, 2003
US
Currently doing some research on Block Level Incr backups. Im having some trouble deciding if this is the right fit for us. Here is the lowdown.

We currently have an Oracle database of 12 Terabytes. We use Timefinder to establish BCV,s and split twice a week. Next we mount these BCV's to an alternate server. Once successfully mounted we run a FULL backup to tape from the alternate client.

Would Block Level Incr allow me to bypass the full backup and just run a backup of the blocks that have changed since the last backup???

This data is only presented to the alternate client during the tape backup. Once the backup finishes we dismount the volumes from this alternate server and re-establish the volumes via timefinder.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
S.

We do the same thing for all our large databases..

we have been discussing the incrementals but I oppose the incrementals because in case of disaster there would be a even longer restore time as all the incrementals would have to be applied.

NB 5.2 might be able to turn those incrementals into a FULL backup thouhg. I believe that is one of the features

Why don't you contact Veritas and find out if upgrading to NB 5.2 and using the synthetic FULL backups would work here.

I'd liek to know as well, I just don't have time to call them right now..

We have also been thinking about using Veritas' new disk library for our databases

The cost alone on tapes for 1.2 a yar should justify that let alone the super fast disk to disk restore

Ryan

Thanks for the response.

I dont think that the SYNTHETIC FULL would really help unless there is some type of block level SYNTHETIC or something. Every file in the database changes once the database is started after the Timefinder split. No matter what type of backup you run it will always be a full.

Backing up again to disk would just be redundant. We would use the timefinder bcv's for immediate restore purposes but for legal purposes the data still needs to be on tape and offsite.
S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back