Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block incoming mail to a specific mailbox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeEasdon

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
GB
Help!

I need to block all incoming mail to a generic mailbox that is shared by several users.

As we have no mail filtering, what is the best option for configuring this?

I'm not that familier with exchange but am under a lot of pressure to implement this asap.

I have looked around but can see no way around this other that a client side rule but this does not help my situation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike

1st you could remove the Email address;

Go into Exch Admin, Find the Recipient - Properties - Email Addresses Tab - Then change the Email address from Here@you.com to NotHere@You.com.

Then all external mail will bounce BUT the mail should be ok to internal users as it is held in the GAL.

Sorry hit worng button there!

2nd you could use an alternative recipient and just set a rule on the phantom account to automatically delete all incoming mail:

Create new recipient AutoDelete@you.com;
Go into Exch Admin, Find the Recipient - Properties - Delivery Options - Check Alternative Recipient - Select the new one.

Any Help?

Thanks, I think option two is ideal.

Do you know if a server side rule can be set on the alternate account to bounce a templete back, along the lines of an undeliverable report?

Mike

Hmm, not too sure on rules and such but I don't see why you can't set a rule up to automatically reply to all messages with the message you desire.

I've had a quick play with Outlook XP rules wizard and it seems like you can do the above.

Iain

P.S. You are very welcome!

You want to block ALL mail to the mailbox, or just incoming external (Internet) mail?

If the first, you don't need to mess around with Alternate Recipients or rules, there is a 10 second config change that will achieve what you want:

All mailboxes have a Delivery Restrictions tab, put the mailbox in its own Accept messages from list. This means the only mailbox that can send to it is itself(!), and everyone else automatically gets an NDR stating that a restriction in the system prevented delivery.

top tip, thanks.

The only aspect of this is that a generic undeliverable report is received and mangaement require a bespoke template to be mailed out.

thanks again

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back