Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block Incoming mail - Exchange 5.5?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisBurch

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
AU
Problem:-

Users subscribe to email lists then leave the company, but email keeps coming.

Question:-

Is there anyway to reject these emails at the server, using Exchange 5.5 on Win NT 4.0 TS? Something like Inbox assistant in Outlook.

Regards, Chris

It worked yesterday.
It doesn't work today.
That's Windows!

Well without knowing really how they are subscribing but assume that they are subscribing using their individual SMTP address. If the exchange account is deleted from the server or at least SMTP address removed from the account, if you need to keep the account for some reason, the server should just return the e-mail to the sender as an invalid deliverable address.

Would this not work for your situation?

The problem is that the domain part of the address,
eg @somewhere.com, is correct, so the mail gets gets through to us. Where, since the user mailbox no longer exists, it ends up with the Administrator mail.

I keep the user's account open for a week, which allows me to unsubscribe to those lists which supply a direct unsubscribe link. But when you get directed to an http logon page, you are pretty much buggered. Hence why I'm trying to block. Chris

It worked yesterday.
It doesn't work today.
That's Windows!

We are experiencing the same issue as you state in this thread. We continue to receive internet emails for employees whose mailboxes have been deleted some time ago. Were you able to find a solution to this problem? I have checked several sources for a solution to this problem and come up empty-handed so far.

Thank you,
Lorri Moore
City of Dover, Delaware
PC and LAN Technician

You could try visual route at and type in the e-mail address from the sender and set up a trace on that address, then you can get the direct contact information for the sender and send them or the Administrator of that company an e-mail requesting the e-mails to stop. I have used this method where I work for a similar reason and it has been successful.

I appreciate your response, unfortunately I am looking for a much more quantitive solution. We get hundreds of emails for former employees. The solution I am looking for will stop all email for unknown email addresses. Once the employee has left we delete the Exchange mailbox and this should make their email address invalid. I would like Exchange to reject all messages that are not sent to a valid address.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Lorri Moore

It has been a long time since I worked with Exchange but I think the solution to this is in the configuration of the Internet Mail Service. I don't remember where! You want the IMS to reject and/or send a non-deliverable mail notice to the sender. The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

found this on exchange forum:

thread10-18215 The two rules for success are:

thread10-128016.
The two rules for success are:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back