Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BLOCK DATA takes forever to compile...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPMan

Programmer
Jun 25, 2002
US
I am trying to compile some data in file that goes like this

BLOCK DATA stuff

INTEGER istuff(484484)
REAL rstuff(484484)

EQUIVALENCE istuff(1), rstuff(1)

COMMON someOtherVariable/rstuff

DATA rstuff(1) /1.2/
DATA rstuff(...) /1.2/
DATA rstuff(484484) /1.2/

END

this has been compiled before....and i was told that it only took about 5 minutes on using the greenhills compiler. I have to compile it using gcc. I let it compile for 9 hours and it was still going strong....
anythoughts???
thanks

I would expect initializing 484484 elements to take a while, but 9 hours does seem a little excessive. If they are all being intialized to 1.2, try

DATA rstuff/484484*1.2/

CaKiwi

unfortunelty they are not all being initialized to the same thing. the problem is it still has not compiled after 9 hours... and i am not sure that it will ever end. I have read other places that initializing everything backwards makes things faster but i tried that and it did not work....
any other ideas?

My version of g77 (0.7) actually puts out an error saying that it will take a long time. It didn't like the array in a common block. The error message said it was on the TODO list for 0.8.

Why not declare the array but initialize it by reading in from a file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back