Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block calls from going to call logger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinJ

Technical User
Aug 15, 2012
US
I've been asked if there was any way for a user to block an internal or external call from showing up on call logging.
I know there is a feature code to block CID output for one call, but it still shows on the call logger.
Thanks. HiPath4K v8 here.

If you want to stop all calls from a user being logged you can turn off the call logging in COS and put non-logged users in that COS, but be aware that call logging is probably activated for the trunks as well, and you can't really control that per user. There are several parameters in COS for call logging so look through them all to not miss any.

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

Sorry Don, looking at my post, I should have been a little clearer. It's for a one time use block by a user.
My manager has told me that they heard that an employee here knows a code/feature from the old Rolm system that could be used on this system to allow that person to block the call logger (in my case, Traffic Analyst) from recording their call to an outside number. So, I figured I'd try to see if it was possible.

When I was in the Navy, the base I was stationed at used the Merlin phone system, and there was a code on that system that did just that, so I know there's a faint chance that it's possible.
So I figured I ask the experts to see if anyone here has ever heard of it.

I didn't find any documentation that listed it as a feature.

Kind of like *67 on a landline or whatever that code is. Let me look once.....

It's funny I should say that.... Try *67 DISUON (Display suppression on)

and you might have to use *68 DISUOFF (Display suppression off) to put it back to normal if it isn't automatic.

These AMOs should already be in WABE DIS-WABE:GEN; on your system.

The book doesn't say exactly if that blocks the information for inside callers or outside callers, but it can't hurt to play with it and find out.

Manitowoc, WI, USA

Good check. I saw those.
When I use *67 and call another extension, the receiving 40T displays PRIVATENUMBER for the caller ID. When I call an outside number, the CID received is blank. So it's half of what I was asked about.
It looks like it is only for one-time use. The next call from the extension has full CID output.

However, Traffic Analyst still logs the calls. It shows "Blocked" for the Originating number for internal calls on the receiving extension, and "111111" for the receiving extension when called through the CO.
(111111 seems to be the default on TA for any non-CID calls.)

I think that is the case, as I have things like RightFax where calls from those T1 lines emulating trunks usually code out with 111111 in them. I know that for my call centers, I have "Way to Display" set to No, and that blocks 100% of everything from both inside and outside callers, (there is also an option to leave inside calls along and send an alternate number for outside calls - like the main number or something) but that is unfortunately not something the user can turn off or on. I know in my TA I do see blocked for call center calls out, but I still see those numbers show up - possibly for incoming calls, but I would have to look at the reports to remember. I know I can tell when I look at it.

I guess I would have to ask what this person is trying to hide. For me TA is like big brother, and it sees all and knows all - if there is anything bad going on I can find it out, and there is a valid reason for that.

If the user is really desperate to block calls like that and they don't want to block ALL the calls (in the case of my call centers I have specific phones for them to return calls with and those phones are blocked so they can't receive incoming calls. Our problem is we don't want the customer having the number and going around the call center, but the Catch22 is that Privacy Manager will block calls with "Unknown Number" or "Private" so we can't return their calls from a blocked phone.

What I might do in this case is set up the COS I mentioned before that has all the CDR turned off, and then you can create a PIN number that allows the user to switch to that COS so they can make that call, and then switch back after so it goes back to normal. I saw all the DARs for that in the manual but didn't bother to read up on them, but it IS a thing you can do. It will be extra keying for the user, but if they are that desperate then they should deal with the inconvenience. :)

Manitowoc, WI, USA

Right now I don't know who this person might be, if they exist.
Just to ask, in case I find out someone is using *67, how can I change *67 to a different number?

You can delete *67 from your WABE, so it's no longer a valid option.

If that's not the cause, perhaps talk to the support folks at Impact Technologies? They seem to know an awful lot about CDR, so they might know.

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

Thanks for the reply LoPath.
I agree that deleting it is one option, but is there a way to change the feature number so that I can still use it for testing, but so that the user no longer can?
I might have to do this the the login,logoff codes for the TDM phones as I think someone is using those also.

Yes, just do CHA-WABE and change it, or DEL-WABE and then ADD it back in under a different code that's not in use.

Manitowoc, WI, USA

Ok. I haven't done anything to WABE since getting the system.

The instructors at school were VERY adamant about making sure you knew what you were doing in WABE, especially with DEL-WABE.
I ran the regen, and saw that to add this code to WABE was ADD-WABE:**2,,,DISUON,N,,,,,,,,;
Would the delete be: DEL-WABE:**2; ?
What would the CHA-WABE command look like?

Thanks

If your code is in your system is **2 then how are you getting *67 to work??

Here is is what one of the techs told me when I first started administering these systems, and I'll edit it slightly for the 4K....

DISPLAY everything you touch before doing anything (in this case, REGEN, as you did.)

That way if you delete the parameter out of WABE and later want to put it back in, you can just copy that "ADD_WABE" string into your command line and press Enter and the parameter will be put right back in (assuming it's not there, because you can't ADD it if it's already there).

If you enter DEL-WABE
for each parameter you can hit ? or ?? and it will tell you what it expects you to put there or if it's optional. You can end the questions at any time by entering the ; If there are more parameters that are required it will ignore the ; and ask you for the next thing it needs.

Since you DISPLAYED it first, you will have those answers.
If you do DEL-WABE:**2; I believe it will still ask you for the DAR (DISUON) to verify you are deleting the right thing, and possibly DPLN, which is always 0 (in the US anyway).

The Dangers of WABE are real, because if you make a typo it can be disastrous, and if you improperly specify a range of stuff to delete it can be the same. Displaying first will help some of that, but if you are really paranoid until you get used to it, go into your preferences in Comwin and make sure your scrollback buffer is big enough to take the whole list (5000 - 1000 lines) and then do REG-WABE; which will give you a backup of *everything* in WABE using the commands to put it back in. Copy all that to Notepad (straight text - no word wrap) and save it. Now if you do something bad you can still fix it. It might be a few thousand lines of stuff depending on how many stations you have, etc.

That is a good thing to remember if you are ever venturing into uncharted territory. I have hard copies of all my LDPLN and RICHT rules and all that routing stuff, my speed dial lists, the BCSU:TBL list because it shows me all my cabinets and boards and comes in as a handy reference if I am adding 10 stations for a department and I want to spread them across different boards and shelves for redundancy, etc...

ALWAYS display or regen first for safety! :)

Manitowoc, WI, USA

There is no WABE code which will disable the CDR for the next call.

It's possible to "avoid" call logging by using the SELL amo to create source (station number) or destination (dialled digits) lists, and then having the selection group (SELG) match on those lists, and have the output either disabled, created differently, or sent somewhere else.

It requires some configuration and is not something that is there by accident. If your SELG output shows it is not matching (Y) for source or destination tables, it is not configured.

Sorry for the confusion Don, I was thinking ahead about using **2 for the new feature code, and put that number in instead. :)

Thanks for the info Moriendi!

I was correct, turns out someone was using that feature here when they weren't supposed to, so I deleted it from the system. I'll worry about changing the other codes later.

Don, thanks for the regen advice for WABE. Sometimes it's good to have a smaller system. Mine comes out to just under 300 lines.

As always, you guys are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back