Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blinker does not produce an executable 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clauer

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2004
DE
Blinker 4.1 / Clipper 5.3

Hi all,

after moving blinker and clipper executables and system files to other directories blinker won't produce an executable. I have checked all the entries in the make file and the link file, all seems to be ok.

Error RMAKE/R2001 Exit 12: BLINKER OUTPUT EXE-FILE @LINK-File

Thanks for any help. rmk and lnk files can be provided if necessary. Thanks for any help!

Christian

Check your SET and PATH commands are correct for where you have moved to.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Hi Ian,

thanks for your answer. After hard looking for an error in the path definitions I didn't find any. Well maybe there's something wrong in the link file because blinker starts and soon after stops without any error except that the exe is not made.

Here ist the lnk file (maybe I'm blind...):

# BASYS.LNK - BASYS.EXE - BASYS Anwendungsprogramme
# Blinker 4.1
#
BLINKER INCREMENTAL OFF
BLINKER CLIPPER SYMBOL OFF

MAP=C:ENTWIC~1\CLIPPER\BASYS\BASYS.MAP S,A

FILE BP000, BM000
FILE AP100, AP110, AP120, AP130, AP140, AP150, AP160, AP170, AP190
FILE AP900
FILE PP100, PP110
FILE PP200, PP210, PP220, PP240, PP250, PP260
FILE TP100

LIB BASYS, OKDATE

#FILE MSGGER, NTXGER, CDXLOCK
#FILE CLD.LIB
#FILE MRD4WIN.LIB

SEARCH CLPROFIW

LIB CLTOOLS
#LIB FIVEWIN, WINAPI
LIB DBFCDX, _DBFCDX

DEFBEGIN
EXETYPE WINDOWS 3.1
PROTMODE
DESCRIPTION 'CLProfessional for Windows'
STUB 'C:\PROGRA~1\CLIPPER\BIN\P4WSTUB.EXE'
CODE PRELOAD MOVEABLE DISCARDABLE
DATA PRELOAD MOVEABLE
HEAPSIZE 0
STACKSIZE 8000
DEFEND

Is this line correct?

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Another thought, does Blinker understand the shortened filename with ~ in them? It may not have to, but then again.....

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Hi Christian,

Looks like Ian has it.

vs.
MAP=C:\ENTWIC~1\CLIPPER\BASYS\BASYS.MAP S,A

Regards,

Mike

Thanks to all for your kind suggestions, but I'm very sorry they didn't give me a hint.

I checked all path names, made the proper corrections - still there is no exe file.

It seams that Blinker makes his job as usual. When he says he's finished with linking, he deletes the old exe file but does not write a new one. Same with the map file. It looks as though Blinker has no rights to write the output file, regardless what path I am using for the exe, regardless if I let him link on network resources neither on a local system.

Confused
Christian

I forgot to say that I'm working on a W2K Server and on the stand-alone system (notebook) with W2K SP4.

regards
Christian

Hi Christian,

Do you have Administrator rights?

Use Find Files to search the HD for the EXE. Blinker may be putting it in an unexpected place.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

sure, I have admin rights, on the network as well as on the stand-alone system.

Find files didn't have any results.

Regards
Christian

Christian -
I noticed that you do not have an OUTPUT command in your link file. The default according to Blinker will be the first .obj
name in the FILE list.
Perhaps the fact that 2 names exist on the first FILE line this maybe the source of the problem.

Try putting an line similar to this:

OUTPUT BP000.EXE or OUTPUT FILENAME.EXE

before you start listing your file names to link in.

Sam

Sam,

the OUTPUT command is located in the make file, but I gave your suggestion a try, same result.

Blinker starts, shows its window but with no content, only the button at the bottom, which first shows, that Blinker is doing his job then changes to "click here or press any key to end".

If I commend out a LIB or FILE line, there is no error message.

It's like a black hole ...

Christian

Christian,

After rereading your initial message, the error that is being shown is a Rmake error and not a Blinker error:
'Error RMAKE/R2001 Exit 12: BLINKER OUTPUT EXE-FILE @LINK-File'
The Exit 12 after the RMAKE/R2001 may be from a result of the directory reassignment and the Windows Long File Names, in this case Long Directory names.

The number after the Exit is a DOS error:
DOS Error 12 :In Win95, filenames can be longer than 8 characters with a 3 character extension separated with a dot. This is not true in dos. Error 12 means you are looking for something DOS does not recognize. Enter a proper DOS file name.

Before you moved your files to new directories, were they all on directory paths with less that 8 characters in length?

Are you using the RMAKE /I option (Ignore exit codes)?
I nave been using Blinker 5.1 since its appearence for both 5.2e as wells Clip4Win programs and have never received that error either in WIN98 or WINXP, but the I have never used directory paths longer than 8 characters and .PRG names longer than 8.3. I have used LongFileNames in output and input file names using a LFN library for Clipper.
Try using the /I option with Rmake and see what happens.

Hope this helps with your problem.

Sam
[ sboomer_at_mindspring_dot_com ]

Sam,

thanks for your helpful answer. I know of the behaviour due to LFNs. Before I changed the structure I too used LFNs, which worked fine until the change. RMake does not work with filenames longer than 8 chars, so I write e.g. PROGRA~1\FILENAME.EXT instead of PROGRAMME\FILENAME.EXT (the german MS default for the program directory).

Even your suggestion with /I did not change anything. Btw the Error 12 does not occur anymore. I get all obj files compiled (by a make script) but when Blinker comes to action ...

Recently I heard from the xHarbour project, so I want to know, if I can convert a clipper app which already uses an old windows lib for Clipper (CLPROFIW) e.g. with FiveWin and xHarbour to a modern windows app without rewriting all the stuff completely new.

Regards
Christian

Christian,

Yes you can convert your clipper app to xharbour.
For the windowing stuff you'll need to buy the xharbour version of Fivewin.
There will be some changes that have to be made but not too much.
There were more xharbour topics on this forum before, so have a search and a look.

Good luck,
Rob.

Rob,

thanks for your message. Actually I have Blinker 4.1. Do I have to upgrade to a newer version or may I use the Borland linker ILINK instead (BCC 5.5)?

Thanks for your answer (for other reasons concerning xHarbour I will look for the threads here).

Regards
Christian

Christian,

Blinker 4.1 wouldn't do the job.
Blinker 7.0 would.
But the Borland linker is used by default.
Without problems.

Regards,
Rob.

I have to add:
The borland linker if you use the borland version.
The MS linker if you use the MS Visual C version
The Watcom linker if you use the Watcom version
The GCC linker if you use the MINGW GCC version.

Rob.

Many thanks to all for your help.

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back