Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blending in Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdy

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
I am working on a project where I have to draw some overhead landscape. I have been trying to draw some areas that look as though they are depressions. I have drawn an area that will look like grass. Then I draw a smaller area on top of the grass to and shade it with a darker color of green to make it look like a depression. What I would like to do is to blend the edges of the shaded area into the green area. I have tried to do this with the feather option but have had no luck so far. If anyone out there knows how to do something like this, I would appreciate some help. Thanks.

There are lots of ways to do this.

One would be to use the erase tool and select a feathered brush and paint around the edges of the darker green, for even more control you can also select an appropriate opacity.

like leonec said there are lots of ways to do this..

Personally when i need to make depressions I either use
channels and then render lighting or I do the method allready
expressed by leonec.
In order to use the channels method and render lighting I have
noticed that it will change your colors a bit and then all you have to
do is go into Adjustment levels and tweak them in and it should be fine. Here is a brief over view of channels and the render lighting.

select what you want to have the depressed look in the layers
palette then switch over to the channels palette. Click new channel, you know the two little squares down there, and you will now have a selection on a black looking image. what i usually do is fill that selection with 50% GREY then create how I want my depression to look, remember white is high but you have the ability to turn that off in lighting. Once you have the thing painted like you like it switch back over to the layers and goto filter/render/lighting.
When doing highs and lows I use directional light but others may use spot. Start out with direction lighting and go from there, then all the way at the bottom of that window there is an area to tell PS which channel to use and you want to select alpha 1, Sorry im not in front of my work machine so i cant supply pics. Play around with the height slider and when you think you have it click OK, if thats now how you want it to look, undo and try again in the render lighting...Then if the color has changed a touch goto image/adjustments/levels and slide those outside arrows in towards where the black starts and that should tweak your colors back to norm on that layer.....Good Luck..I'm off to lunch

easiest way would just be to do it by hand with the air brush set to a low opacity on a new layer and work it till it looks right.

Other wise you could use the clone brush (again set to low apacity - and large brush size) to blend the edges. Or even use the Smudge tool very carefully to blend the edges.

Easiest way is just to get your hands dirty with the airbrush tool and work it in by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back