Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BLAT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsnafe911

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2002
QA
Guys
iam trying to email my bootstraps to myself in addition to printing those out. After installing BLAT on my backup server i couldnt get the right command to make it work, can someone help on this please? do i have to configure any mail account on my backup server to be able to send this bootstrap email?....

I was not able to make BLAT working with bootstrap. I used smtpmail - utility included with networker 6.x.
See my post about mail notification: thread480-416800
I am using NW6.2 on W2K sp2

gupel and Tdun
Thank you for helping me on this. i can now print my bootstrap but couldn't make the email to work. i have tried to use blat -to myemail@xxx.com ai can test this successfully on the command line but when i do it through the notification it doesn't work...another issue is there away to print the bootstrap and also email it to myself or can't have the two options working??...please help on this

blat - -t email@ddress

Make sure that the blat command is in your path.

rgzimmer
I have tried that and it didnt work, i will tell you exactly what did i do mybe iam doing something wrong.I have created another notification named it test i have unchecked all the boxes in the Even box EXCEPT savegrp + index, then i have checked ONLY critical for priority and saved the notification and opened again and put BLAT - -t myemail@ddress and i have put the Blat under the bin directory....iam using the bootstrap notification to print bootstrap report does this has any affect..please help

hi,

you can't print the bootstrap in one notification and send it in another notification with a mail program.

Just write a script which prints and mails the bootstrap, take your "test" notification and run the script with the notification.

cyberted

I am having a similar problem. I have it setup to email the boostrap notification to a public mailbox which works fine. I then created a notification called "savegrp completion email" which is supposed to send but doesnt. I get an error saying "message refused by server" when I add the -log to BLAT. The only way I have gotten around this is to just have blat email the WHOLE savegrp.log file every day. This is inside of a firewall protected DMZ and mailing out of it to the public email area where I get this problem. Anything outside of the DMZ, both notifications work and email fine.

Create a profile first with your smpt server in it:

blat -install smtpserver -t myemail@host.com - - Profile
(the two dashes as the end are for default port and default tries -25 -ONCE) and the last word names the profile to Profile

Also....I copied blat.exe into the c:\winnt\system32 folder and the command I use for bootstrap is:

blat - -s "server's bootstrap" -p Profile -t myemail@host.com

I forgot about the initial setup. I included a text file on the server with the exact instructions I used for setting up Blat, which is what michaelw70 did. If you are getting a refused connection, make sure your mail server admin is allowing smtp connections.

Install instructions:

To set up or change the email parameters, open a command prompt and type

blat -install mailservername mailbaox name 3 25

This sets the mail server that will be used, the mailbox on the senders line, the number of retrys to attempt, and the port number on the mail server for the SMTP request.

within the nwadmin GUI, located in 'server notifications':
select bootstrap, in the action line enter the follwoing command:
blat - -s "BootStrap Notification" -t user@domain

this is provided under the assumption that blat has been installed and configured on the o/s.

make sure blat.exe is in the winnt\system32 dir
at a command prompt
blat -install name_of_smtp_server 'admin@legatoserver'

does anyone have a script they could post here to Print AND Email the bootstrap. This is more difficult because the information comes from a pipe. Windows 2k

Try to change the action for the bootstrap notification as follows:

nsrlog -f filename | print filename | email filename

REM Put std input to a file

nsrlog -f "C:\Program Files\nsr\logs\botstrap.txt"

REM Send the file
REM Next command is one line

type "C:\Program Files\nsr\logs\botstrap.txt"| smtpmail -s Bootstrap -h your-mail-server user@yourcompany.com

REM Print the file

type "C:\Program Files\nsr\logs\botstrap.txt"| nsrlpr -Pyour-printer-name

REM Delete the file

del "C:\Program Files\nsr\logs\botstrap.txt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back